Sick Clown??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got three percula clowns at a good LFS on Saturday and have had them in a 10 gallon QT since I got them. All three eat fine and don't appear to have any signs of stress.

Two of them stay pretty much together at all times, and the third is pretty much by himself. He'll swim over to the other two, but most of the time is just swimming by himself.

Upon closer inspection, he has some physical characteristics that have me concerned. The first is his dorsal fin - it has been eaten away quite a bit. (The other clowns did not do this. They were in a tank with a damsel at the LFS and was this way when I got him) My question is, will this grow back.

Second issue is a bit harder to see. Towards the bottom of his center white strip, there is a blue coloration on both sides. It is almost like I'm looking through his skin to his insides. Also, the blue area is a little swollen. The other two do not have this blue-ness. One of them has a bit of brown in the same location, but not blue. Is this just because they are so young? Is there any known disease that would turn a portion of the skin blue?

I'll try to get some better pics, but these are the best I have for now.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

Todd

The first is his dorsal fin - it has been eaten away quite a bit. (The other clowns did not do this. They were in a tank with a damsel at the LFS and was this way when I got him) My question is, will this grow back.

It should grow back provided the tank's water quality is maintained. Monitor the clown for infection and treat if necessary. Melafix is supposed to promote new fin growth.

Towards the bottom of his center white strip, there is a blue coloration on both sides. It is almost like I'm looking through his skin to his insides. Also, the blue area is a little swollen

It is the swelling that concerns me, blue edging along the stripe is not uncommon in many clownfish.

I'm going to try and get some better pictures/videos today after work and hope to have them uploaded here this evening. thanks for the advice on the fins. I'm assuming Melafix is some sort of additive? I'm staying away from chemical additions this go round unless it is to prevent a death. I had WAY Too many chemicals next to the tank last time, so Im going to see how the fin does on it's own.

It is...made from the extract of some type of tea leaf (among other things), I believe. It's a natural additive. I've used it before to help Oscars recovering from hole-in-head or after they've been in a fight with fin loss. Pretty nifty stuff.

Back
Top Bottom