Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2004, 08:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
Sick Clown??

I got three percula clowns at a good LFS on Saturday and have had them in a 10 gallon QT since I got them. All three eat fine and don't appear to have any signs of stress.

Two of them stay pretty much together at all times, and the third is pretty much by himself. He'll swim over to the other two, but most of the time is just swimming by himself.

Upon closer inspection, he has some physical characteristics that have me concerned. The first is his dorsal fin - it has been eaten away quite a bit. (The other clowns did not do this. They were in a tank with a damsel at the LFS and was this way when I got him) My question is, will this grow back.

Second issue is a bit harder to see. Towards the bottom of his center white strip, there is a blue coloration on both sides. It is almost like I'm looking through his skin to his insides. Also, the blue area is a little swollen. The other two do not have this blue-ness. One of them has a bit of brown in the same location, but not blue. Is this just because they are so young? Is there any known disease that would turn a portion of the skin blue?

I'll try to get some better pics, but these are the best I have for now.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

Todd

Old 01-06-2004, 10:01 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
The first is his dorsal fin - it has been eaten away quite a bit. (The other clowns did not do this. They were in a tank with a damsel at the LFS and was this way when I got him) My question is, will this grow back.
It should grow back provided the tank's water quality is maintained. Monitor the clown for infection and treat if necessary. Melafix is supposed to promote new fin growth.

Quote:
Towards the bottom of his center white strip, there is a blue coloration on both sides. It is almost like I'm looking through his skin to his insides. Also, the blue area is a little swollen
It is the swelling that concerns me, blue edging along the stripe is not uncommon in many clownfish.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
I'm going to try and get some better pictures/videos today after work and hope to have them uploaded here this evening. thanks for the advice on the fins. I'm assuming Melafix is some sort of additive? I'm staying away from chemical additions this go round unless it is to prevent a death. I had WAY Too many chemicals next to the tank last time, so Im going to see how the fin does on it's own.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is...made from the extract of some type of tea leaf (among other things), I believe. It's a natural additive. I've used it before to help Oscars recovering from hole-in-head or after they've been in a fight with fin loss. Pretty nifty stuff.
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com