Sick clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I started with saltwater 8 weeks ago. I have a 55 gallon, live rock and sand. I now have 3 clown fish and a turbo snail. I had a sand sifter starfish till last night. One of my clown fish has become sick It started out looking like ich. (like I get in my fresh water tank) My lfs told me to medicate the main tank using Metronidazole and Kanaplex by Seachem and it would take care of the problem weather it was ich or something else. I did this yesterday afternoon and my starfish died last night. Did this kill him? I was told it was safe to use. The clown is looking some better and is eating today. Thanks for your help.

Sara

Metronidazole and Kanaplex by Seachem and it would take care of the problem weather it was ich or something else. I did this yesterday afternoon and my starfish died last night. Did this kill him?
More than likely Yes.. With SW tanks Inverts such as your star and your snails do not like Meds at all.. In SW tanks the more popular method would be to QT your fish and treat in a seperate tank... I am not familiar with the meds that you used however It is pretty safe to say that the meds did in fact kill the star.. Sorry for the loss BTW.. As for what to do now with the Clowns I am kinda at a loss. Depending on the meds if they are copper based then the ods of you being able to keep anything else but fish in the tank are pretty much out of the question.. I will let others that are familiar with the meds help you out with that..

James

Back
Top Bottom