Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
the white spots are more like lumps (bumps or whitish pimples) rather than specs. I assume your getting at Ich here, no? It looks more like some kind of fungus. Dewormed, how? He wont eat anything I give him. He looks at it, then goes about his merry way...(Others suggested he was eating copepods that he was finding)

To me, I feel I was cheated by the LFS. What do you think? I had two clowns to start. They were the first and only fish in this tank (in at the same time). The fist clown just died the next day. He was breathing really heavy after going into the tank. No visible disease on him. I guess he didnt like the acclimation. The second swam around exploring instead of hiding. All day he looks to be catching the copepods that I see swimming around.

If he was worms, its the LFS. No? They wont return my messages about it. They told me they were tank bred, but for all I know they were wild caught and have issues.

Cutting Edge Aquatics is their name...

Ive got both maracyn 1 and 2. When should I try the maracyn 2?
Thanks for all your help!
Matt

Old 07-10-2009, 11:44 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Either let the Maracyn 1 run out or 50% water changes over the next two days. Get a detailed picture of the clownfish as it could be any number of things regarding the bumps.

Edit: Deworming by Praziquantel for cestodes/monogeneans and Panacur (fenbendazole) for nematodes

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
Here are some pictures. I tried my best. You'll have to excuse me if the pictures dont meet the requirements, I dont know how to manage file sizes or picture size.

The "growths" looks smaller now that I have gotten ahold of the fish and closely examined. He was none too pleased about any of this...

He still wont eat. He acts like hes looking for his copepods...I took some mysis shrimp and put them in a glass with crushed garlic. Then I mixed this with some DI water and swirled it around well. After that, I took a turkey baster (unused) and squirt this shrimp mix at him. He swam through the cloud of shrimp and DODGED it all. Nice. I then had to suck it all back out. Pshhh...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CLOWN 1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	19549   Click image for larger version

Name:	clown 2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	19550  

Click image for larger version

Name:	clown 3.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	19551  
Old 07-11-2009, 02:26 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Doesn't appear fungal to me. The pop eye is pretty obvious though, so for that reason alone I'd assume some type of bacterial infection. I'd go with whatever Maracyn medication Innovator recommended.

As far as the LFS... I don't really see it as a bad deal from them. Just because the fish are tank raised doesn't mean they'll be disease free. That's the risk you run in the hobby... I will guarantee you that you will buy more fish than you end up with in your tank, regardless of how they're raised. All we can do is create the best environment for them and hope the dice roll our way as far as the hardiness of the individual fish. I have 6 fish in my display tank. There are another 6 fish that I bought that never made it out of my quarantine tank. Guess my point is don't be too hard on yourself, or your LFS.

If it weren't for the popeye, I probably would've never even noticed those dots in the white stripe if it was my fish. In fact, I'm not sure those specs aren't normal changes in coloration. (Nice pics by the way... not sure how you could've gotten better!)
Old 07-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

The discoloration is either from anemone/coral stings (common) or, what I'm betting, due to the fact that it just needs medication and better overall care than received at the lfs. Not eating is common, but have you tried live brine shrimp? Take about 5-10mL of live brine shrimp and soak in fw for about 30mins. Then pour through a net and feed. If it is willing to eat the brine shrimp then it makes deworming much easier. Praziquantel can be given in a bath form.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you using a QT or your regular tank to treat the clown? When you mix or thaw frozen food out for your fish use tank water, RO freshwater.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
Good tip on the brine shrimp. I didnt think of that...

Anyways...
He died.
I found him floating dead. Dont know why...

Thanks for the help! From now on, I think I will buy from ebay. That gives me SOME kind of power. (Getting a sick fish is, "not as described" and eligible for a refund).

Matt
Old 07-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #18
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Sorry about the loss.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Just be mindful that all animals should be expected to need ich treatment and deoworming upon acquiring. Also, take note of lfs' return policies and if you must, purchase using a CC so you can challenge the purchase if the animal dies and the business doesn't adhere to their policies.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
Could one consider a fish to be "safe" if being held in a low salinity condition with cupromine?

The seller on ebay that has the tank raised clowns says they are held in low salinity and treated with cupromine to ensure they are healthy before shipment.

Matt

Tags
bump, bumps, clown, clown fish, ick, popeye, sick, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com