Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to anna8297
Sick clown, weak swimming funny

Flase perc clown in our community tank suddenly stopped hanging out in his sea shell with his buddy and started swimming in the corner near the top of the tank by himself. Then his swimming started to deteriorate and it appeared to be harder and harder work for him to stay upright while he was swimming. This morning when we got up he was out of the corner, but at the top of the water swimming on his side in circles. I went ahead and moved him to the hospital tank, but I don't know what to treat him with. He has no other symptoms that I can see. No spots, no film, no damaged fins, eyes look fine, he's eating. We've had him for over a year, no new tank mates added recently. Amonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-5, pH-8.3, salinity 1.023. 120 gal tank. Any help greatly appreciated.

Anna

10 gal hex, FW w/ baby angels.

55 gal FW, 8 angels (various genetics).

90 gal SW, 2 blue chromis, 1 three stripe damsel, 60 lbs LR, Christmas Tree worm, long spine urchins, 2 brittle stars, 8 hermit crabs, 3 bumble bee snails, 2 margarita snails, 2 Ocellaris clowns, Regal Blue Tang, Chocolate Chip star, pygmy angel, bangaii cardinal, yellow tang, LTA, carpet anemone, 3 peppermint shrimp, and still growing!
anna8297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Is he breathing rapidly? See if he has any of these conditions.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=7

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to anna8297
I checked out all of those things, but like I said before, I can't see any other symptoms. Now that he's in the hospital tank he seems to be swimming just fine. My bf thinks that may just be because he's scared nd trying harder. But I wonder if maybe we just had too much current in the big tank. I think before I said it was a 120, but its a 90, don't know what I was thinking. We are running a 100 gal/hr pump, two air pumps with bubble wands (2 each) and two power heads. Could this just be too much movement for such a little guy? I've always heard more current the better. Here's a picture of our little guy. Pardon the dirty glass our hospital tank is kind of out of sight out of mind until we have to put a fish in it All help appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clown_2_167.jpg (66.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-10-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If he`s doing OK in the hospital tank then leave him there for a few days and observe him. It really does not sound like too much current to me. Let us know how he is doing tomorrow.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Keep it in the hospital tank. Do daily 10% - 20% water changes in that tank to keep the water quality pristine. That alone is often all it takes for a sick fish to cure itself.

Keep us posted and good luck.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nothing to add really, except that it doesn't sound like too much current. With a 90 gallon, anything less than 900 gal/hr is probably bordering on too little current. Many folks here would probably advice closer to 1500-1800 gal/hr between your pumps and powerheads.

Tags
clown, ick, sick, swimming

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com