Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy
What about water flow inside the tank?

81 is a bit high, though that's not likely to cause the problem. However, it could be adding to any stressors present. How are you gauging the temperature? Glass thermometer, stick on, digital?

You could stick a small fan blowing across the surface of the water to bring the temp down.

Salinity is good. Are you topping off evaporated water to maintain that salinity?
Click image for larger version

Name:	.original.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	100662

I have one circulation pump, glass thermometer and topping off with distilled water as it needs it.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, just trying to think of things to help your fish. :P A good way to maintain the same salinity without an auto topoff is to mark a line with tape or marker or something and always topoff to that line.

30-40 nitrates seems a little high but again probably isn't the problem. This is an acceptable level for fowlr.

If it were my tank I'd do a few back to back water changes. e.g. 1 week do a water change on monday and tuesday. Then do the same the next week.

I assume ammonia and nitrite are 0? (had to ask since it wasn't mentioned)

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Most definitely at 0ppm all of the time. It's never an issue.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm in indiana too and the seasons are a beast to keep the temperature under control. Hot, warm, cold.. all in the same season! Sorry I couldn't help, but we got some good info to rule out. Maybe try the fan thing. And check the clownfish for white spots, wounds, or other irregularities.

I'll let someone else chime in with their ideas.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Should I point the CP towards the top of the water?
Old 06-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

It would help improve gas exchange, letting co2 out and o2 in. I wouldn't think it would matter since it looks like you have a HOB filter splashing through to the water and agitating the surface.

It could not hurt, though. Worth a shot.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok will do, and I will just report back in a couple days.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

There is a different aproch i would take. Have you been feeding him anything different?
Not sure what your using but as a preventative measure I recomend feeding liquid garliq and vitomins in frozen food. This usually works to help prevent minor problems with the fish in the long run.
What type of filtration are you working with? I use a refugium on my 125 and my nitrate stays very, very low even without doing any water changes. Maybe you should look into that just to lower your nitrates a bit.
81 is only about 1 or 2 degrees higher than most people would prefer so that i dont think will cause a problem.
The other thing I can guess is has be been bullied at all? Sometimes that will make a fish act funny for a while.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticFuture
There is a different aproch i would take. Have you been feeding him anything different?
Not sure what your using but as a preventative measure I recomend feeding liquid garliq and vitomins in frozen food. This usually works to help prevent minor problems with the fish in the long run.
What type of filtration are you working with? I use a refugium on my 125 and my nitrate stays very, very low even without doing any water changes. Maybe you should look into that just to lower your nitrates a bit.
81 is only about 1 or 2 degrees higher than most people would prefer so that i dont think will cause a problem.
The other thing I can guess is has be been bullied at all? Sometimes that will make a fish act funny for a while.
I feed them dried brine shrimp. I have 2 HOB filters that I try to remember to clean them 2-3 times per month. I'm planning on building a 10g refugium for my 55g FOWLR tank. He also has not been bullied. All my fish have mild mannered temperaments.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

the Refugium will help a lot with your over all water qualty. i cant say for sure if thats what is affecting your clown but it could be a contributing factor. Also, try Frozen brine shrimp. its in little blocks that i normally thaw out in a cup of aquarium water and then poor it in the tank.. Most fish like the frozen stuff better plus in my opinion its better for them than any processed foods.

I hope this helps. good luck with your clown fish..

Tags
clown, clownfish, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com