Sick Clownfish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a false perc clownfish, one of 2 introduced into my 30 gal together some 8 monhts ago. Both were doing fine until about a few days ago, when the smaller one started acting odd.

He's hiding much more that usual and swimming a bit funny (best way I can discribe it really is that he's not using his tail normally...) Last nite he lost much of his usually vibrant color and looked washed out.

He is eating very well.

Water quality is excellent (amm, n'ite, n'ate at 0, ph 8.0, temp 80 sg 1.023) I introduced a firefish around the time the clown started acting funny. In hindsight, i believe the clown was already 'sick' before the firefish was introduced, but i didn't notice it. At that time, the only real odd behaviour was increased hiding.

Other clown and firefish are all doing well, eating, swimming and looking normal.

I'm stuck!!! No real outward signs of illness, 'cept behavior. Any thoughts at all.

PS should mention that this morning, color is better and eating continues to be good.

I think alot of fish lose some of their coloring at night, that was a question in another post a day or so ago. I don't think the loss of color at night is anything to worry about, BUT i am new at this too, and im sure i will be corrected if i am wrong here. :lol: Not sure about the swimming behavior, i know someone will be able to help you out thogh!

one of 2 introduced into my 30 gal together some 8 monhts ago.

Hmmm, maybe someone more versed in Clownfish mating behavior could help out here, but it sounds like spawning behavior to me, especially without any other outward signs of illness.

I agree, i think a lot of fish lose their color at night, my blue damsels get very light during night and when i turn the light on in the morning, after a hour or so they look normal.

I've had these fish for 8 months or more. This not a normal color lose. Also, the other Clown is not experiencing anything even close.

There is something different going on with this clown. I won't say 'wrong' yet, but it doesn't look good to me. Any other help would be appreciated!! :cry:

This not a normal color lose. Also, the other Clown is not experiencing anything even close.

Sorry, I feel the color change is also part of spawning behavior. You will not notice much from the other (larger/female) clown, she is the boss. She may become slightly more aggressive, but other tha that, her job is to be her. The male will display many behavioral signs to show subservience to the female. Do some research on clown spawning behavior prior to discounting my advice :wink:

I actually wasn't discounting the spawning behavior advice. I was referring to the lose of color at night comments. I wanted to be sure that you all understood that i have experience with these 2 specific fish.

I have to do more research on the spawning behavior. I'm not clear if this is/could be an occasional event, would account for my situation. My point above was that they (my 2 specific fish) have not done this before; ie: not normal for them.

clownfish said:
I have to do more research on the spawning behavior. I'm not clear if this is/could be an occasional event, would account for my situation. My point above was that they (my 2 specific fish) have not done this before; ie: not normal for them.

Depending on the developement of the fish when you got them, they were probably not "mature" enough to properly pair as well as one to take the dominant role of female.

As they age and pair the female will usually take on a more "motled" color (aslo known as melanism) as well as becoming much larger than the male. The male by comparison will somtime (but not always) become much duller in apearance and ingraciates itself to the female.

By the sounds of what you describe they are indeed "courting". >>Here<< is a great reference I suggest you read.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom