Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sick Clowns....Help!

Hey everyone, Im new to this site and hoping I can get some help from all you experts, and believe me compared to me you all are lol. First I'll give you all my tank info so you have an idea of my situation, I have a 90 gallon reef tank set up with a couple oscellaris clowns, couple blue-green chromis, a coral beauty, and a regal blue tang. Also have a few corals, inverts, and 100 lbs of live rock. My paramas are:
78 degrees F
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
salinity 1.025

Now my question is about my clowns, I have had them for about a month and the last 3 days they have decided to stop eating, they are hiding in a corner, increased resp rate(~160 resp/min), and Im not sure of Im just going nuts but I think the top of their heads has gotten darker. To top it all of I woke up this morning to find one of them hosting in my daisy coral, could this be because it is tired? I didnt expect to see that when I thought he was sick!!
Anyways I am one of the not so smart newbies that decided Id do this without a quarantine tank(bad idea I know), so now I have one set up and running, ready for use. So the main question is WHAT DO I DO? Sorry for all the writing, just wanted to be exact, and just for fun there is a picture of my clown hosting in the daisy.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
a clown sitting in a coral is not an uncommon occurrence. they will utilize pretty much anything that has some "meat" to it.
as for the increased breathing, i would say to double check your water parameters with another kit (LFS, local friend....). if there is still no ammonia or nitrite detectable, then barring aggression from other tank mates, i would say it's a false alarm.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hey mr X thanks for the quick reply. I agree that a clown sitting in a coral is not uncommon, from what i know if there is no nem they will often decided to host in a coral. I will try and get a secondary source to test my water parameters and there is no obvious aggression(watched the tank for hours on end). I know you said it may be a false alarm but what about the fact that its now been 4 days with completely ignoring any kind of food(even directly in front of their face) and the increased resp rate? Should i consider quarantining?
Old 01-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

how are the rest of the fish acting? have you tried different foods?
i'm just throwing stuff out here because i have no idea what's going on.
if you QT them, what will you treat them for?
they are not eating and breathing heavy. i think uprooting them to yet another tank is just going to stress them more at this point. unless you know they are afflicted with some disease that can be treated, i'd leave them where they are and focus on possible water issues.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, Welcome to AA.
Mr. X has given you some good advise. We need to know if you have anyother fish in your DT
Old 01-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

To be honest my thought of putting them in the QT was more because I dont want them affecting the DT, I had no clue if I would treat them for anythign once I have them out, this may make no sense, like I said Im fairly new. I have the clowns, 2 blue green chromis, bengai cardinal, coral beauty, longnose butterfly and a regal blue tang. All the other fish are doing well, no signs of illness. The regal blue tang lies sideways in the rock half the day and will come out for 10 minute periods just to swim or eat, but I have read this is very normal for them.
Thanks for all the great input already Mr X
Old 01-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Like Mr X said, try using another type of food. Bring a cup of water to your local LFS get them to test it ASAP. Clown fish are normally pretty tough, but if they have not eaten that is not good. From what you are describing I dont know what could be wrong with them either. Only thing I can think of is stress, possibly caused from another fish. How long have the clowns been in the tank for? Who is the newest addition? Just because you watch the tank hours on end does not mean that there is no aggression. It could easily happen when you are sleeping or when they are sleeping. Maybe something keeps attacking them when they are sleeping so they are sleep deprived.

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hey rush, the clowns have been in the tank almost two months, the newest addition is the longnose butterfly, I doubt its him causing the issue but how would I know for sure. If it was water quality, arent some of the other fish I have more delicate and be affected first?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

actually, stress lowers the immune systems of fish. a hardy fish could get sick before another fish in the tank because he's the one getting chased all the time...or he was recently attacked...or recently moved tank to tank...something like that.
it doesn't sound like that's the case here though.
it's not an easy situation to figure out.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefnewbie View Post
Hey rush, the clowns have been in the tank almost two months, the newest addition is the longnose butterfly, I doubt its him causing the issue but how would I know for sure. If it was water quality, arent some of the other fish I have more delicate and be affected first?
Well the first set of clowns I had seemed perfectly fine and then one day one died, and the next day the other died just randomly. I was told they could have had a disease. Clown fish can have different ones. Not sure if this is the case, but running out of ideas. If not stress, water quality then who knows....

Lets hope they make it through

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, clowns, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com