sick coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

special lighting

Aquarium Advice Freak
please help me.
while i was cleaning the glass my sw tank i accidently bumbed my green mushroom coral and a mushroom sort of opened or riped partialy of itself and the rock some white strings came out what does this mean?

I dont know for sure but I do know that mushrooms are pretty much indestuctable. Can you get a pic.

I cant tell from the pics but make sure of pristine water conditions. I had one that got smashed one time and it made a comeback. Like I said indestructable.

People take scissors to them all the time to make more. It may just be a little freaked out. Don't panic. Like Mike said.. Indestructible. It may even float around your tank for a few days until it finds a place it likes.

Be patient.

Agree... indestructible. The white strings are most likely mesentary (sp?) fillaments - they're a form of weapon that corals use to take over areas, protect themselves, etc. I've seen them come out of the mouth of mushrooms when I'm snipping them at the base with scissors. (Yeah... I'm a mean pruner.)

I've fagged them before, they are quite resilient really! You can slice and dice and they come back for more! ;)

i have had the white strings as well so it nothing to worry about mine seem to do it on a regular basis and once when a sea urchin was on it and i moved the urchin it was back open within a hour tho

Sorry about that one, but if you just wait - and do nothing - after 6 months you'll have more than you probably want!

Just to prove that Kurt is right here is a recent pic of my mushrooms minus the hundreds that I sold to the LFS. They all came from one mushroom.

100_1572.JPG

Be sure not to have them in a high flow area, they don't like high flow and tend to break apart.

Back
Top Bottom