sick coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, i have a 55gal tank with 42 lbs liverock and coral substrate which i just recently added. Ive had the tank for 6 months and within the last month added coral. I have a clown fish a damsel, a shrimp, not sure what kind at the moment, a snail and two emerald crabs. The coral has been doing great but the most recently added one, which i believe is a daisy or flower coral,lime green has a bubble like shell around it no longer polyps. its been in there for about 2 wks now, i dont know if it is dying or not. ph-8.2 nitrate 20 ppm nitrite 0 amonia 0

I'm not sure what it is, but I'd get that thing out of your tank ASAP before it can spread to other corals. It doesn't look good at all.

If it was mine, I'd give it a dip in one of the many coral dips out there on the market, try to blow/shake off as much of that stuff as possible (outside of your main tank), and then give it some time in a quarantine tank.

im not sure if the bubble is part of the coral itself or not, i dont know if i can shake it off or not.

I had that on my golfball coral. its dying. Get it out asap. It'll drop straight off when u take it out and it'll stink bad.

kelso these things happen just count your loses and get it out before it spreads to your other corals. you can try to quarantine it and do dips.

im not sure if the bubble is part of the coral itself or not, i dont know if i can shake it off or not.

It's NOT part of the coral - for sure. The bubbles kinda look like a bubble coral, but I know it's not. You can still see one or two of the flowerpot polyps toward the top. (By the way, those types of corals are reported to have a dismal survival rate in our tanks. Better to leave them at the LFS.)

I'd try to bag that thing while it's still in your tank so nothing can come off of it when you're removing it from the tank. Like divedeep said... these things just happen sometimes. Probably had issues when you bought it.

it died unfortunatley i still have the rock it was on i was going to scrub it and put it back in the tank. I scrubbed it the first night put it back in and the next day it was fully covered again, so i took it out.

Back
Top Bottom