sick coral beauty... please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

momzacmarvin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
good day... i am concerned for my new coral beauty who is still in QT, has been for 1 week since i bought him. 2 days ago i noticed the top of its body near the fins has a white filmy area on it (both sides of the body actually). Not white spots so i am not sure if it is ick? Would it be a bacterial/fungus problem. or the marine velvet? Also is not eating as it was but the stomach area looks 'bloated' to me? the body colors look lighter too. I am concerned :( also, i am new to this and don't know what to try and I do not want to loose this pretty fish. Also with him are 2 green chromis that are also in QT (bought at same time) but they look fine. all my water paramaters are just fine as they were when i put them in there.

Any advice would be wonderful.... thank you! :)

I am new to this too and don't know alot about velvet but thats what it sounds like. Have yoy tried soaking the food in garlic? Sometimes that will intice a sick fish to eat. Have you tried to search this site for velvet? put the word marine velvet in the search box and maybe that will give you some info until someone who knows can answer Good luck

Use particulary if parasites are present or fish have visible wounds or infections.

+++EDIT+++
Sorry I meant this comment for the garlic.

Could also be brooklynella.. aka clownfish disease. Formalin is the treatment that has been recommended to me, must be done in QT because it isn't invert safe.

Formalin is the treatment that has been recommended to me, must be done in QT because it isn't invert safe.

I think the Formalin treatmen consists of dipping. I don't know if you can actually do it in the QT, because I believe it will burn the fish.
Of course, there might be some one else that can add their experience...

hi, Thanks all for your help! Although i was going to start treatment.... it didn't make it :(
I am watching the green chromis that had been in the QT tank... he still looks ok... should i do any treatments to the water or just watch this fish for any signs of disease? I am just so glad it was still in QT tank not the main Ughhh this is when this hobby is frustrating!! :)

If it was brooklynella I think it is highly contagious. Watch the fish closely and have treatment ready at first signs of illness. The quicker you react the better from what I have read this disease can move very quickly. So sorry to hear about your angel I have one too and they are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom