Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2005, 08:01 PM   #11
steve-s

They work for you because they are stored in your computers cache. Still not working (for me anyway). You can e-mail them to me at my username @aquariumadvice.com

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-31-2005, 08:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to ogden10
ok steve, thanks again. i think i figured it out, but they are cool pictures of the progression of the coral and I am sure that someone will have some insight for me.

I have mailed them to you now

thanks again

Old 08-31-2005, 10:24 PM   #13
steve-s

Sent them back for you to post (upload) here with some possible insight. You can add that here if you wish also and respond to where possible...

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-31-2005, 10:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Steve tells me the coral has gone "dormant" what does this mean. As I mentioned I am new to reef and corals. Is there anything I should be doing or just wait til it feels like sticking the polyps back out. The guy at the LFS tells me that since I just increased me light basically double that the coral is prob going to its true color and I just did not have enough light for it to do this before, and he did not have it in as much light at the store. He says just give it some time and it will be fine, but stay green, posibly have brown polyps though.....

Corals are interesting, I hope it gets easier from here on out.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:03 AM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogden10
Steve tells me the coral has gone "dormant" what does this mean
In essence, hybernating...

Quote:
The guy at the LFS tells me that since I just increased me light basically double that the coral is prob going to its true color and I just did not have enough light for it to do this before, and he did not have it in as much light at the store. He says just give it some time and it will be fine, but stay green, posibly have brown polyps though......
He's partially correct, if the lighting has been dramatically increased in any way without acclimating the tank to it gradually, the corals go into "light shock". It's quite important when you do something like that to gradually increase the intensity so the animals can adjust slowly. As far as the green color, not too likely there I'm afraid. That is moreso a result of the stress reaction. It proper color should be a creamy/ecru mabye with a hint of yellow.

If the coral retracted relative to the new light, you'll just have to wait it out. It can takes a few days to several weeks for soft corals of this type to "rebound" after being stressed. It will look sickly in the meantime but you shouldn't be too concerned about losing it.

If you just upgraded the lights within the last few days, reduce the photoperiod to about 2½-3 hrs/day. Every few days after increase by ½ hr/day and after about 2 weeks you should get back to the full photoperiod This will greatly reduce the stress and allow the corals to readjust.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-01-2005, 12:04 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

As always thanks for the info... I guess that makes perfect sense, I just did not think about it before changing my lights. I had only had the coral in there for like 2 days and decided that I really had only the bare minumin for lighting in there (about 2 watts per gallon at that time), I upgraded it thinking that I would help the coral and instead freaked it out. Talk about you backfired plan. Anyway, the guy at LFS told me that now I have enough light that I should be able to do any coral I want in there. Do you agree? There is now 260 watts in a 55 gallon, so almost 5 watts per gallon.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:10 PM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogden10
Anyway, the guy at LFS told me that now I have enough light that I should be able to do any coral I want in there. Do you agree? There is now 260 watts in a 55 gallon, so almost 5 watts per gallon.
Really depends on the depth from light to substrate but you will be able to keep a good many types of corals. I wouldnt go as far to say "anything" though, certain acropora/clam species will still do best with MH. That said though there are still a wide variety of SPS that you can keep. I would however start out with some easier scleractinian species like LPS before moving onto SPS.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-01-2005, 07:47 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Any specific suggestions? I like frogspawn, and also anything that has a really good bright color to liven up the tank, but am open to suggestions of things that would be easy and hearty.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:40 AM   #19
steve-s

Depends on what other kinds of corals spark your interest. Keep in mind that coral like frogspawn, ancora, trumpet and torch have sweepers and will require a fair amount of growing/living space. If that's what you want I see no problem with it though. If you have a sand then brain and plate corals can be quite colorful with reds, green, oranges and so on.

If the tank has matured close to a year, stable and you have a decent grasp on chemistry, no reason not to try some species of montipora. They are a great starting SPS, especially if tank raised. Very hardy and quite forgiving of the odd mistake.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-02-2005, 11:47 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the advice.... This tank has been up and running for about a year and a half. Just made the decision to make it a reef instead of another FOWLR tank. I am very familiar with the working of these tanks, just have alot to learn regarding reef and corals.

Tags
coral, ick, pictures, sick, sick coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com