Sick corals/anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knmhermary

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to the salt water world. Have only had the tank for 10 days, bought it fully set up, and had been running for two years. Recently our anemones have shrivelled and turned from pink to green. I believe they are BTAs. Now for the levels:
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0.1
Calcium: 440
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
saltwater: 1.025
kh: 160
I am not certain on the lighting, I know we have blue leds running full time, two coralife actinic 120V, and two coralife 10000. We only have a 29g tank. The fish seem to be thriving.

Attachments

• IMG_2762.jpg
    IMG_2762.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2761.jpg
    IMG_2761.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2766.jpg
    IMG_2766.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 54
You have an ammonia reading, that is the issue you are having. A 2 year old set up tank being moved probably kicked up a ton of 2 years of build up and caused a mini cycle. Do a water change.

I just ran a full spectrum test, we did a water change 2 days ago.....
March
27pH
8.3Ammonia
0.3Calcium
440Phosphate
0Nitrite
0.1Nitrate
0Iron

kH
I don't understand how there is still an ammonia reading after a 30% water change

Because the decaying matter from the sandbed has been released. That is 2 years of buildup. Imagine not cleaning your living room for 2 years and then throwing a party in it. All that junk is decaying and turning into ammonia.

yep moving the tank caused it, I would try and find someone that can keep the livestock till the mini cycle is over, over do some water changes to keep the Ammonia down. Anemones are very sensitive

Mucus on corals is the result of being stressed. Your parameters would indicate why. Even though you may have replaced a functioning sand bed depending on how you moved the live rock, filter , etc will also throw you into a cycle with their die off.

You will also find later down the road that corals stress easily. Sometimes you can simply adjust the flow in your tank and they will be unhappy

Back
Top Bottom