Sick Corals? Pics included

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recenlty got a Brain Worm (Platygyra) and a Brain Coral (Favia) and after careful acclimation to both water conditions and lighting they don't look to be doing all that well three days later. I have attached pics to see if any of you can tell me if they are supposed to look like this.
PH = 8.2
SG = 1.025
NH3/NH+4 = 0
PO4 = .1
NO3 = 2.5
NO2 = 0.00
CA = 400
Platygrya = on substrate, medium flow, high light
Favia = Mid tank, medium to high flow, high light

i have a worm brain like that do not give up mine was doing just that moved it down in more shade and less flow it is coming back new growth all the time, and i thought it was on it's way out and going to throw it out 8O

I blew some brine and mysis at it, but nothing really happened. I have not seen any sweepers on either of them so far. Does it look normal to you?

Aside from the abraided areas it looks pretty nrmal to me. I would continue to target feed and offer the best conditions for each coral.

They are typically tolerant of many different aquarium conditions, but you need to look at the change, if the dealers tank is not as intense as yours it could be photoshock. Look for the sweepers at night after the lights have gone out ;)

Its funny, I read everything I could find on these corals before I got them, likely did weeks of research into both, but once they get here I realize I still have no idea how they are going to behave or how to care for them. I got them via Liveaquaria and just didn't want to unknowingly have a dead or near dead coral and not take advantage of the ten day guarantee. Its good peace of mind that they look normal and i'll take good care of them. Thanks again RR!

One more question. Even with my moonlights I still don't think I will be able to see the sweepers, is there a good method for spotting when they are out? Should I use the red flashlight method?

Great, I just noticed that they are starting to fuzz up with tentacles, Im going to give them a little more time to extend out more. However while feeding my Caulastreas I started to wonder if I am feeding too much or enough. I typically feed the polyps about three times. Blow shrimp, wait for tentacles to re-open, blow again, etc. You have any advice or rule of thumb for how much to feed?

Sounds like your doing fine, while they are trying to recover it is more important that they are fed often, once they are in good health, once or twice er week should be fine ;)

My Maze Brain (Worm) did the exact same thing to me when i first got it. I moved it lower in the tank and lessened the water flow. It has come back nicely. The colors are vibrant again.

Back
Top Bottom