Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2005, 01:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

just got back from the LFS

alk was just a tad over 180ppm
cal was 410
amonia = 0
nitrates/trites = 0
pH 8.2
SG 1.024

I stopped at 3 LFS's to look for the [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym], but was unable to find any. Is there a brand that you reccomend? I will order it ASAP.

It is currently sitting on the sand bed, with the damanged portion elevated higher then the rest.

Thanks for the help thus far.

75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:46 AM   #12
steve-s

Your numbers look good so as long as they stay stable and nothing irritates the coral further, it should recover. Be sure you keep up with the carbon and at least weekly water changes.

As far as the vitamin, [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym] is an ingredient. Personally I prefer Selcon but there are others available.
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=AM1511
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=KM3671

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-29-2005, 11:32 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Kent Marine makes Zoecon...I find it more commonly in the stores than selcon for some reason.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

update

heres an update...

The Cynarina is looking better everyday, thanks for the help...

on a side note, I also got a Branching Hammer from them, the same day.

Now it appears as if two of the stalks are receeding to a degree, but it seems to have around 8-10 other small branches that have started to sprout from its base....

Is there anything to do to help save the Hammer besides the spot feed with cyclop-eeze and the mush that normally goes into the tank....

running carbon
pH = 8.1
am=0
nitrates and trites = 0
calcium =410
alk = 180 ppm

lights are running @13 hours a day and its in the bottom third of the tank..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc04706__medium_.jpg (85.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg dsc04705__medium_.jpg (64.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg dsc04707__medium_.jpg (87.5 KB, 54 views)
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:52 PM   #15
steve-s

Great news on the doughnut.

As for the hammer, I don't think it's the same issue. It's either too much light or too much water flow, can't really tell. I almost think it's too much light judging by which polyps are receeded the most. I would try lowering it some more and be sure the tentacles are not always blowing in one direction, moreso swaying gently.

As for feeding, use larger foods like mysis. You will most likely need to turn off heavy water flow equipment to do so. This coral will eat but tends not to catch thing easily so placing it as gentley as you can close to the mouth will yield the best results.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-05-2005, 11:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea, i've tried larger pieces of food, but the peppermint shrimp love to steal it from them...

any tricks for keeping them away besides fighting them with a turkey baster? ;P
Old 10-06-2005, 11:11 AM   #17
steve-s

Use a large plastic pop bottle or milk jug and cut off the bottom. Clean well with hot water, no soap. Cover the coral, add the food via the top spout, screw the cap on loosely to keep out thieves.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
coral, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com