Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2005, 02:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sick Cynarina Coral?

I recently picked up this coral.

It appears if part of it might be dieing.

What steps should i take, and are the pictures good enough to tell?

over all the coral looks wonderful and is fairly large when open supposed to be @6-8inches across.

the Xenia by it has already been moved... (noto sure if they do any softie warfair*
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc04636__large_.jpg (115.5 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg dsc04641__large_.jpg (72.4 KB, 117 views)

75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:05 PM   #2
steve-s

Was the coral like this when purchased/same day as placed in the tank or some time later on?

Please post:

Water parameters
Chemistry
Lighting
Height of placement and surface/mounting
Water flow

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-26-2005, 11:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The coral was like this when purchased... it came from a very stocked tank... I say that it was that way in the old tank, but I didnt notice it to be honest, only when I transfered it from the bag to my tank did I see it.

Attached is a picture of it in the old tank..

tonight it appears as if the dead or damaged part is coming off, so I will definitely have to keep a eye on it

Water is

ammonia = 0 mg/l
nitrates <10mg/l
nitrites <.2 mg/l
pH 8.2
SG = 1.024
temp steady 80-82
lighting is a t5 2 actinics/ 2 10k on @12hours a day

height is about halfway up in tank, on the end (trying to get the least amt of light) for placement I have just sat the stoney branch in a hole of my LR it sits out a bit.

water flow is low

I was waiting on some carbon that I ordered online, but I have decided to pick up some carbon and a filter bag to run in the sump. Feeding sweepers came out tonight and readily snatched up some cyclop-eeze.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06_193.jpg (99.0 KB, 91 views)
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

here is a picture of it when it retracted shortly after lights out...

Also, I purchased a Hammer from them as well, they mentioned that it wasn't doing so well in their main tank, and had moved it to a smaller softie tank a few days before I picked it up.

When I saw it at their house, it was not as full as the picture I originally saw, and after two days in my tank, it seems to have extended further out then what I saw in their tank. That sort of leads me to the theory something might be wrong from where it came.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc04644__large_.jpg (132.6 KB, 98 views)
Old 09-27-2005, 12:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

just out of curiousity, do you have 3 tangs and foxface in a 75g?

steve r
Old 09-27-2005, 12:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

No, that was the tank he got the coral out of, not his actual tank. He was showing a "before" picture.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripper
No, that was the tank he got the coral out of, not his actual tank. He was showing a "before" picture.
correct!

I think that tank is 200 or 240 not sure... the whole tank is covered in corals though. It is still overstocked, but they are housing a refugee corals and fish from new orleans since Hurricane Katrina made their house un-liveable...
Old 09-27-2005, 02:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

just curious. thanks

steve
Old 09-27-2005, 08:26 PM   #9
steve-s

Definatetly damaged but I cannot tell if it's mechanical, handling or coral warfare related.

Recovery shouldn't be too much an issue as long as brown jelly infections don't set in. First step is getting rid of those nitrite readings. The level for NH3/NO2 should be undetectable. A few good water changes and watching the fish feedings should help immensely. It will also help lower the nitrate some which will lessen the chances of infection. You will also need to find out where your alk/Ca ratio is sitting at. Get that tested by your LFS in the interim but if you plan on keeping scleractinians, you really should purchase the kits needed.

I would suggest placing the coral directly on the substrate (hopefully sand) and off anything hard that can further irritate the flesh. Place so the damaged area is slightly higher and off the sand but not in any direct water flow. Feeding is a good step in recovery but I would suggest something a bit larger than cyclop eeze. Small meaty bits about the size of a pencil eraser 3-4 times a week presoaked in selcon or other [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym] containing vitamin. You'd be surprised how much these types of coral will/need to eat.

What intensity are the T5's, 39 or 54 watt?

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-27-2005, 10:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

The nitrites being <.02 are because the lowest reading is .02 and it is not near that color on the fastest kit. I would honestly assume 0.0 but i guess we can never be sure.

Last night after the post it did get a nice piece of the larger chunk of blender mush and it looked happy to a degree.

I will get the water tested tomorrow, and post the results.

I will look for the selcon, but honestly I have yet to see any around here in the LFS's.

The T5's are 54watt

Tags
coral, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com