Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2006, 10:25 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

The damsel's problems are likely related to having been used to cycle an aquarium. The stress can bring on any number of diseases that the immune system normally fights off.

I really wish I could help you, but it seems your LFS doesn't have any medications, by the time you mail order them it might be too late.

All you can really do is prepare lots of extra saltwater (let it sit 24 hours with an air stone or air pump after mixing) and do lots of extra water changes. Clean water can be helpful in these situations, reducing stress and removing excess pathogens. Feed him the best foods you have available, and hope his immune system will fight this off.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:27 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of salt, and what kind of water are you using to make your salt water?

Old 02-17-2006, 10:37 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Instant Ocean, tap water with stress coat. It is the same as I have always done. I am so frustrated. I haven't had problems in years. The little critters on the clown look like tiny white shrimp. They are ovalish in shape, have antennae, white/opaque in color and their bottoms curl under. Will they die in the tank with no one to feed on, or will I have to recycle that tank? I was so excited about getting this new tank set up, now I am so discouraged.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those little critters are not what keeps your tank cycled, although they are useful. Put in a pinch of fish food every week until the tank has new occupants, and that should keep it cycled. You want to remove the clownfish as soon as possible so whatever pathogen killed him doesn't get a chance to leave his body and infect the tank.

You need to leave that tank empty for at least a month before putting a healthy fish in it. You don't want the healthy fish to get whatever the clown had.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you again for all of your help. Lori

Tags
clown, clownfish, damsel, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com