Sick Damsel with dots on face

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pcooper10

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a damsel fish that is sick. I've had him for about a week and a half now and havent had any problems with them yet. I noticed this morning that he has some white dot like things on his face. Any advise is appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• 20160117_180317.jpg
    20160117_180317.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 74
It's a 55 gallon tank. I have live rock and sand. I'm new to the hobby. I just started introducing fish to the tank. He was my first. I have him and another damsel. Some hermet crabs and snails.

Just out of curiosity can I ask how new is new? Did you cycle the tank? Do you have test kits and if so can you please post results? Also what are your acclimation techniques?

Have you noticed if the fish pick on each other at all? Are they hiding more then they come out? And do you know what damsels they are exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I lve had my tank set up for a couple months and let it cycle for two months. I have test kits. Everything is where it should be except nitrate was at like a 10ppm. The fish are acting pretty normal. The little damsel that isn't sick is swimming around above the live rock and the bigger damsel that is sick moves around under and inside the live rock. The are both still eating good.

One is a domino damsel I believe and the sick on is a yellowtail damsel

I welcome someone to correct me if I'm wrong here but I always believed damsel fish were fairly aggressive toward other fish. Especially only having 2 damsels of different types in the same tank. I always heard that you should either have 1 alone or a group of the same type together where aggressive behavior can be spread amongst the group. If your parameters are good then I'd consider aggression to be your problem especially if the sick damsel won't leave the rocks.

If it does have ick then you'll want to treat it immediately before it claims both fish and possibly any new additions.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Try a freshwater dip for 5 to 6 minutes, It works, Done it myself if you wanna know how I'll explain if you're interested.

Back
Top Bottom