sick domino damselfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dolphin89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a small Domino Damselfish that is sick. I had got the fish tank from my sgt who got out the army and had to travel a long distance and didnt want to tank the tank with him. When i got the tank it was so dirty that you couldnt see the fish. That was about 40 days ago. its almost to the point to where it is completely clear.. The fish he gave me are a Domino demsel, Javanese damsel, Blue Damsel, Black damselfish juvenile, maroon clownfish and a dimond goby. All the fish are doing great but the Domino Damsel. It stays at the top of the tank with its head in and out of the water, the fins look like they are damaged badly. The color of the fish is faded. I have treated it once before with Melafix and the fish got a little better but still stayed at the top of they tank..now it seems like its getting worse and that the fish is weak cuz he would just float at the top of the tank like its dead. and im treating the tank with melafix again.. its been a few hours and he is swimming again at the top but still looks really sick.. but all the other fish look really healthy any suggestions on what i could do..

Have you noticed any of the other fish picking on him??? He might be being beaten up by some other fish in the tank which in turn is stressing him out. It might be happening while your asleep. This same thing happened between my blue damsel and clown fish. I thought clownie was gonna die. He would lay on his side, heavy breathing, and float to the top. He healed and now damsel leaves him alone. Huh...I dunno.

The javanese damsel seems to bully the other fish a lot but the other fish seem ok its just that one fish.. should i get read of the javanese damsel?

Do you have a quarantine tank to put him in??? That way...you can treat him and also observe him by himself. When my clownie was acting that way, I simply had to sit back and watch the poor thing. I wish I'd had a quarantine tank (1gal) back then!!! It's very frustrating when you know your fish is hurting, and there's nothing you can do!!! I hope everything turns out Ok...Keep us updated!!! Good Luck to you!!! :))

BTW.....I don't think you should get rid of your Javanese damsel :))

Back
Top Bottom