sick feather duster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianeww

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I came home from work at lunchtime to find a feather duster hanging about all the way out of his tube (his end was still in, at least). I brushed the tongs by him, but he didn't react at all. Feathers were still fully extended, looking healthy except for being so far out.

I just came home again to find him gone? Or maybe pulled all the way back into his tube? How do I tell? Can they leave their tubes and go elsewhere? I've been home for an hour, and there's no sign of him still being in the tube.

Thanks for reading, please help!

It's been my experience that when they hang out of the tube that way, they are dying. It is possible for the worm to leave the tube and relocate though so I'd keep an eye out for it. Just don't be to surprised if it never shows back up.

Thanks, Hara.
It seems so strange that this morning the duster looked fine, then all of a sudden "hanging out", and soon after gone. You don't think it's possible he's still in the tube, do you? And what will I be looking out for? A new tube forming? A loose worm floating around? Sorry, newbie at all this!

I'm not hara but your welcome. ;)

I'd be looking for the crown to pop back up through the sand somewhere. Yes, it is possible that it could still be in the tube. Anything is possible. :)

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I am so sorry, i was thinking about another thread at the same time!

Thank you Fluff! The thing is, this tube worm is guaranteed by saltwaterfish.com until this coming Monday. I don't want to dry out and send back the tube unless I'm sure there's no one in there! Is there any way I can tell if there's someone in there?

Hmm. Well, if you remove the tube, it will probably be obvious by weight if there is something still in there. The tube itself is very lightweight. You may also be able to see the body of the worm toward the back end if it is pulled way down into the tube. Not sure why they would want you to send back the tube. Chances are it will be just be a crumbled mess by the time it gets there since it should break down rather quickly.

They always want anything back that dies. You have to cover it deeply in salt and use multiple ziplock baggies on it! After they examine it (I guess), they give you a credit for a new one the next time you order. Anyway, still no sign of life today. :(

Call and see. When I called Liveaquaria they told me not to bother sending back and they replaced right away.

Back
Top Bottom