Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-14-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Exclamation Sick firefish, nothing is helping...

Hi, my name is Sean.
I have two firefish in a 20 gal Marineland tank (I've had them for 4 1/2 months now) and one of them is breathing extremely fast/heavily and sitting at the bottom of the tank. The one that is sick has looked unhealthy since the day I got him but things have never been this bad. I noticed something was strange when he wouldn't come out for feeding time the past two days, so I started getting a little worried. Today he would barely move at all and was breathing how I described. I've suspected a worm for quite some time now because he never seems to get any bigger from eating and looks generally malnourished. I checked all water parameters I could test for (pH, ammonia, salinity, temperature) and they were all fine. I did a 30% water change anyway. More recently, I gave the sick fish a fresh water dip, hoping it would kill any parasite/worm that could be in him. I'm not sure how shortly afterwards symptoms are supposed to improve, but it's been 4 hours now and he's still breathing rapidly and sitting at the bottom of the tank. I'm not sure what else to do/what could be wrong with him? I don't think it has to do with water quality or something in the tank because the other firefish is perfectly fine... But they are a mated pair, it'd be so sad to see the one go :/

UDmoir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
sorry it took so long to answer... how is the fish? i hope he improved. Did you have him in a quaritine tank? I wish the best for the rest of your fish ....good luck.

clownfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
If it's still alive, I would separate it out for a while. Firefish are generally very hardy, so I'm not sure what it could be
Don't try to fix something that isn't broke. You just might end up breaking it

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
It could be an internal parasite. I would set up a QT tank and do hyposalinity. Slowly drop the sg to 1.008. Keep it like that for a couple weeks after you see him get better. Then slowly raise it back to normal. Hope this helps!
crister13 is offline   Reply With Quote

firefish, ick, reef, saltwater, sick, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com