Sick firefish, nothing is helping...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UDmoir15

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, my name is Sean.
I have two firefish in a 20 gal Marineland tank (I've had them for 4 1/2 months now) and one of them is breathing extremely fast/heavily and sitting at the bottom of the tank. The one that is sick has looked unhealthy since the day I got him but things have never been this bad. I noticed something was strange when he wouldn't come out for feeding time the past two days, so I started getting a little worried. Today he would barely move at all and was breathing how I described. I've suspected a worm for quite some time now because he never seems to get any bigger from eating and looks generally malnourished. I checked all water parameters I could test for (pH, ammonia, salinity, temperature) and they were all fine. I did a 30% water change anyway. More recently, I gave the sick fish a fresh water dip, hoping it would kill any parasite/worm that could be in him. I'm not sure how shortly afterwards symptoms are supposed to improve, but it's been 4 hours now and he's still breathing rapidly and sitting at the bottom of the tank. I'm not sure what else to do/what could be wrong with him? I don't think it has to do with water quality or something in the tank because the other firefish is perfectly fine... But they are a mated pair, it'd be so sad to see the one go :/

sorry it took so long to answer... how is the fish? i hope he improved. Did you have him in a quaritine tank? I wish the best for the rest of your fish ....good luck.

If it's still alive, I would separate it out for a while. Firefish are generally very hardy, so I'm not sure what it could be :(

It could be an internal parasite. I would set up a QT tank and do hyposalinity. Slowly drop the sg to 1.008. Keep it like that for a couple weeks after you see him get better. Then slowly raise it back to normal. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom