Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2004, 01:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
Sick first fish

My little O clown was fine when I brought him home. ate right away after a fw dip. He seemed happy in my QT

the next day he had a couple sugary white spots (ich, I think/thought)

the next day he had brownish spots on his white bands

I am trying cupramine and dropping the salinity as fast as I dare.

This morning he was in a bottom corner, but when I vacuumed out the tank he swam around a lot and seemed happier.. Almost like he enjoyed the rodi water splashing in.

then tonight, he's back in the corner and now he doesn't swim away when I put my hand near the glass.

I added some more RODI again and am now down to 1.021. I'll try to get it down to 1.09 over the course of the next 36 hours or so

is there anything else I can do? is he doomed? I'm not sure what the brownish spots are. also not sure why there's black "dust" on the bottom of my qt. I vacuumed it out earlier in the day, but it's back.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 02:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
I am trying cupramine and dropping the salinity as fast as I dare.
One or the other, both is too stressful on the fish. If you have added cupramine, leave the spg where its at.
Quote:
is there anything else I can do? is he doomed?
What your doing (minus the duel treatment) should do just fine. Do you have seachems copper test kit?
Watch your ammonia and PH, treatment can do strange things to both. be armed with change water.
Good luck!!

Old 11-29-2004, 05:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

The SeaChem Ammonia badge has work for sharp spiking ammonia alerts for me
Old 11-30-2004, 02:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He still won't eat! some foods he tastes but then spits out. most he just ignores.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Old 11-30-2004, 04:29 PM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiden
some foods he tastes but then spits out. .
What foods are you feeding? That type of response is usually an indication the particle size is too large for the fish to deal with and cannot swallow the food. Even though it may appear small enough, try crushing it some more. A drop or two of garlic extract is also a good appetite atractant as well as being an overall great antioxidant that has anecdotally shown in aiding with parasite infestations. Just be mindful not to use more than a drop or two. Too much and it will confuse the fish's senses and can degrade water quality if dosed too often.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-30-2004, 04:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The first thing he ate was frozen brine.only did that once though.

I've tried formula one and two pellets.. Also bio blend pellets and nori. I even tried some fw flake. I did try crushing up one of the pellets, but not the others.

i'll pick up some sw flake and garlic today.

Old 11-30-2004, 05:03 PM   #7
steve-s

Pellets are definately too large especially for an Ocellaris. If worse comes to worse, go back to the brine but be sure it is soaked overnight in a quality marine vitamin first to improve the nutritional value. The main concern with new fish is getting them acustom to being fed. Once they adapt you can move over to better food choices.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-30-2004, 07:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

YAY! I got him to eat some live brine! I know it's not the best thing for him, but any calories are a bonus after a week.

Old 11-30-2004, 08:11 PM   #9
steve-s

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-30-2004, 08:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

our clown had the same eating habit when we got him. he would only eat freze dried brine. after a couple of days i "primed the pump" with a little brine and then some broken spectrum pellet. now he eats about 4 -5 broken pieces of spectrum pellet every day. he also wakes up every morning and eats a bunch of pods off the glass. i would say give him time to adjust. ours also just started venturing around the tank ans picke a cave that he sometimes hides in when the dogs run by

good luck
steve r

Tags
first fish, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com