Sick Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scubasteve

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got 2 new clownfish from petco(Never again from petco), which were good for about a week, then last monday i noticed ich on them and my yellow tailed blue damsels had it also. I treated with rid ich+ and the damsels went away instantly, the clown fish continued to have it though. I increased the temp mid week to about 85 F and dropped the salinity down gradually to about 1.014. Now only one clown fish has one spot of ich on its tail, however it also has what looks like a cauliflower fungus growing from behind its gills. I realize the ich takes around 3 weeks to get rid of, and i planned on leaving the salinity down low for that time, but what do I do about this cauliflower substance. Also, is the high temperature a good or bad idea, as a result of this and removing the carbon from the filter(so it doesnt remove the meds), my ammonia has soared to 1ppm, which is really bad i know, Yesterday i added in fresh carbon bags(4 of them) and put some ammo lock 2, how else can i lower this.

I'm new to the saltwater hobby and only started the tank in end of May so the only fish I have are the 2 damsels and 2 clown, but I'd like to get all this disease cleared up before adding a newer more expensive fish.

Water:
PH:8.4
Nitrites: .1
Ammonia 1ppm(EEEK! help me lower this)
Temp: 85F
Salinity: 1.014
Aquarium Specs:
Tank: 72G All Glass Bow Front w/ stand
Ebo Jager Heater
Fluval 404 filter

p.s. if i have time later tonight after work I will post a picture of the clown

First, I would like to stress how important it is that these "treatments" must be administered in QT environment. Both hyposalinity and most other meds you may use/need will kill invertebrates, contaminate the equip, as well as some devastating the bio-filter.

smartass083 said:
I got 2 new clownfish from petco(Never again from petco), which were good for about a week, then last monday i noticed ich on them and my yellow tailed blue damsels had it also. I treated with rid ich+ and the damsels went away instantly, the clown fish continued to have it though. I increased the temp mid week to about 85 F and dropped the salinity down gradually to about 1.014.

The increased temperature will increase the lifecycle of C irritans but it will have no direct affect as far as killing it. With the lowering of the salinity (aka hyposalinity), that is what will help with the parasite. The temp increase just helps speed it up a bit. You should also try lowering the salinity a bit more. 1.014 SG is not quite enough to be sure. It should be 1.009 or 14ppt salinity.

Now only one clown fish has one spot of ich on its tail, however it also has what looks like a cauliflower fungus growing from behind its gills. I realize the ich takes around 3 weeks to get rid of, and i planned on leaving the salinity down low for that time, but what do I do about this cauliflower substance.

No, the salinity will have no affect on the fungus. It is actually quite common for secondary problems to arise as a direct result of the damage ich can do. Since the problem is on the gill area, I would suggest treating with a gram negative antibiotic like Maracyn II.

Also, is the high temperature a good or bad idea, as a result of this and removing the carbon from the filter(so it doesnt remove the meds), my ammonia has soared to 1ppm, which is really bad i know, Yesterday i added in fresh carbon bags(4 of them) and put some ammo lock 2, how else can i lower this.

I would slowly ease down the temp over the next few days as that will slow the growth forming on the clown. The ammonia can be helped with some small wter changes. Just be careful that water specs match exactly with the QT. With the possible use of the antibiotic, more changes may be necessary as it will destroy most of the dentrifying bacteria.

I'm new to the saltwater hobby and only started the tank in end of May so the only fish I have are the 2 damsels and 2 clown, but I'd like to get all this disease cleared up before adding a newer more expensive fish.

As well as QT ing all new arrivals first :wink:

Cheers
Steve

i read on about.com that to treat fungus you could place fish on a soaked towel and use a qtip to scrape fungus off, then treat with iodine. Any ideas on this, im only asking because I dont have a QT tank currently, can the maracyn be used in the whole tank if i remove the carbon or will it hurt the otherhealthy fish.

A Q-tank is very easy to set up and does not require much room or cost. You can read about the set-up >>here<<.

Do not use antibiotics in the main tank. They will destroy the natural biological filter in the the tank causing it to re-cycle and most probably loose more fish. I would also not suggest the treatment you read on About.com, as it would most certainly cause more damage if done incorrectly and you would lose a fish that is otherwise easily treated.

These issues are brought on by secondary infection as well as poor water quality. Your high NH4 is indication that a few good water changes are needed. :wink: The tank being 3 months old should have properly cycled. What/how did you cycle the tank with and what where the reading prior to adding fish?

Please reconsider the QT as well as the questionable treatment you read about.

Cheers
Steve

I think we should all start a National boycott Petco campaign. The one here in College Station get anenomes on a regular basis, and stick them under regular florescent bulbs. You go in one day and they have fresh batch of livestock. A week and a half later, every anenome is shriveled and unattached, slowely dying.

Even half the fish end up floating around barely breathing. Its horrendous. We bought my carpet anenome from there to bloody save its life, somewhat. There were two in the tank. We got the slightly less healthy looking one because it was stickier. Its now doing fantastic, but its counterpart was dead by the next week. DOWN WITH PETCO!!!!

i cycled the tank with some bacteria in a bottle, , for a week, then added the two damsels which have been in there, but the levels for ammonia never peaked during that time, infact they never went above zero. Nitrites went up to about .1 and thats it. Do you think the tank never really cycled and this is it now? if so is the noly remedy ammo lock and water changes.

I changed 20 gallons of water this morning and added fresh water, now the salinity is 1.010, 1.09 ill try and set up the QT tank by end of day and tommorrow maybe ill put him in.

i have a old 15 gallon eclipse tank thats sitting empty, if i buy the biowheel and filter pad will that be good for the one clown. i'm attaching a pic of the clown with what i think is fungus, just wanna double check.

imo, the tank is not cycled. the bacteria in a bottle had nothing to eat, so it was a waste of your money. If you would have had cocktail shrimp happily rotting away when you added the bacteria, it might have shortened the time a tad, but not that quickly. I find those bottled additives useless.

so the peak of 1ppm of Ammonia would signal a sign of cycling??
What can i do to drop this down, I changd 20 gallons and added ammo lock and the ammonia still seems the same level

I agree with Hara and by the sounds of it, your "real" cycle has really just begun.

You really need to be careful at this point as changing water and adding ammo binding chems will just make matters worse and prolong the cycle.

Quite honestly I would call the LFS where the clowns where purchased and see if they are willing to take them back, as well as the damsel. Even a willing friend at this point would help. Sick fish in a cycling tank will definately not last.

Once that is accomplished you can properly >>cycle<< the tank and begin anew. If you intend on keeping the fish (which I strongly advise against) there is a very real possibility they will not survive.

Please make the right desicion (y)

Cheers
Steve

I transferred the two clowns to my newly set up QT tank, after making sure the levels were good in it. I'm hoping that the QT tank will be better for them then the high ammonia levels in the main tank. Hopefully everything will be ok, I'll keep ya posted. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom