Sick fish HELP ASAP!!! PLZ!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooyferret

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey guys i have a white cheeck tang it has ich on its fins and it appears to be something on his body also. The spots on his body look white and appear to be ich also how can i get this taken care of asap? I also had 3 marroon clowns and one has pasted away and the hermit crabs got ahold of him and started eating him the clown is now outta the tank and checked ammonia and all other stats appear to be normal....What should i do? I got these fish about 4 days.

I just put my White cheek Tang down. I was unable to get rid of the Ich, Kik-Ich and garlic was of no use, Raising the temp. didn't work either. I put him down as just this past X-mas I lost all my fish when my Powder blue developed Ich and progressed into Velvets disease. I don't have a Q tank so I did not want to try lowering the salinity. If you have a Q tank I read after that copper based meds will work. I have no experince with this type of medicine. Maybe someone else will post and be of more help. Sorry I could'nt give you better Info.
John

Do you have a QT set up? If you do, i would suggest moving the fish it and using either Copper or Hyposalinity to treat them.

Copper:
Romove all of the fish from your main tank and add them to the QT. Make sure you do not have any LR, LS or inverts in the tank, because copper will kill them, and it is impossible to remove copper from rock once it is introduced. You should have something in there for the fish to hide behind, like a fake plant or fake rock. Make sure that you have a Cu Test Kit, and test the water often. Remove carbon from your filter, it will remove the copper from your tank. Add the copper to the tank slowly over serveral days to .5ppm. I would suggest Cupramine. Keep the Cu level at .5ppm for 4-6 weeks, and feed garlic infused foods, sparingly. Keep no fish in the main tank for 4-6 weeks, this will kill the parasite's life cycle because they have no fish to leech on to.

Hyposalinity:
Place all of your fish, no inverts, into your QT and slowly lower the salinity to 1.009.
See this link for more info http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/hyposalinity.html

If you dont have a QT, see my thread on No-Ich http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=4720&highlight=

I hope this helps. Good luck

Well the tang has passed away. :cry: He fought till the end thats for sure. The ick would disappear and keep reappearing. It finally consumed his entire body, and he couldnt fight it off. My plan is still to continue treating with Kent Garlic Extreme, considering my other fish havent got any yet. I think the garlic may be holding it away from them and toughing their immune systems. Im also considering using a Rid-Ich or something also to maintain the tank.

Back
Top Bottom