Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2004, 07:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
sick fish won't eat

I have been treating my butterfly for a fungus or bacteria infection . He has been on maracyn for 7 days and I also added cupramine (showing signs of parasitic infection). He has for the most part cleared up. His eyes are a little cloudy still and I think he is having trouble seeing his food.
When I attempt to feed him, he gets all excited, but unless the food hits him in the mouth, he can't seem to eat. His stomach is getting pinched and I'm starting to get worried, its been a week since he's eaten good.
My dilemma is, should I keep with the maracyn until his eyes clear up completely? Or discontinue it and see if the better water quality helps him?
Thanks

Old 04-04-2004, 01:58 PM   #2
steve-s

The Maracyn will not hamper your feeding efforts. If anything copper meds will but Cupramine is not known for that as much as most regular copper treatments.

After 7 days with the Maracyn you should have seen good results though. Are you using Maracyn I or II and have you been doubling the daily dosage?

One thing you might try is one of those floating feeders used for discus (inverted triangle). It will allow the butterfly to find the food easier and keep it in one area for easier feeding rather than chasing it around. I would also suggest you soak the foods in a few tablespoons of the antibiotic after it's been pre-dissolved. That will speed things up some.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-04-2004, 02:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Great Idea, I will try the floater feeder. Will call the lfs and see if they have 1. I used maracyn, at double dose and overall the results seem good. He is 90% improved. I thought I was going to loose him last weekend, he looked terrible.
I think I will back of the copper. I don't now think its a parasite (been there done that).
I will try your suggestion, hate to put the little gut through all this med treatment and loose him to starvation.
PS, I know he should eat, he was eating like a pig when I first got him.
Thanks much!
Old 04-16-2004, 04:27 PM   #4

Tags
eat, ick, sick, sick fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com