sick fish won't eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been treating my butterfly for a fungus or bacteria infection . He has been on maracyn for 7 days and I also added cupramine (showing signs of parasitic infection). He has for the most part cleared up. His eyes are a little cloudy still and I think he is having trouble seeing his food.
When I attempt to feed him, he gets all excited, but unless the food hits him in the mouth, he can't seem to eat. His stomach is getting pinched and I'm starting to get worried, its been a week since he's eaten good.
My dilemma is, should I keep with the maracyn until his eyes clear up completely? Or discontinue it and see if the better water quality helps him?
Thanks

The Maracyn will not hamper your feeding efforts. If anything copper meds will but Cupramine is not known for that as much as most regular copper treatments.

After 7 days with the Maracyn you should have seen good results though. Are you using Maracyn I or II and have you been doubling the daily dosage?

One thing you might try is one of those floating feeders used for discus (inverted triangle). It will allow the butterfly to find the food easier and keep it in one area for easier feeding rather than chasing it around. I would also suggest you soak the foods in a few tablespoons of the antibiotic after it's been pre-dissolved. That will speed things up some.

Cheers
Steve

Great Idea, I will try the floater feeder. Will call the lfs and see if they have 1. I used maracyn, at double dose and overall the results seem good. He is 90% improved. I thought I was going to loose him last weekend, he looked terrible.
I think I will back of the copper. I don't now think its a parasite (been there done that).
I will try your suggestion, hate to put the little gut through all this med treatment and loose him to starvation.
PS, I know he should eat, he was eating like a pig when I first got him.
Thanks much!

Back
Top Bottom