Sick Hippo Tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAB22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I've had a look about the forums and cant really find anything that can help so was wondering if any body has any helpful information.

A few days ago i noticed that my Hippo tang had suddenly decided that he wasnt going to come out of his gap in the rocks, he normally beds down there and hides there during water changes cleaning etc so at first i wasnt that worried. It's 3 days later and he still hasn't come out! He (assuming that it is a boy) has moved about a bit within his little area moving from upright to laying on his side and from what i can see he looks ok, he's flapping his fins like normal skin looks fine as do his eyes.

I've had him for well over a year now along with his tankmates (a yellow tang, two clowns, and a sixline Wrasse) and they all seem fine as do a couple of soft corals i have in there (button polyp colony and some mushrooms).

I've also checked the water parameters and apart from some slightly high nitrate levels all is as it should be 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 8.2ish ph, 78 degrees etc.

Tank is 65 gallon with a fair amount of live rock.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated as i'm worried he's gonna die as he hasn't eaten since he started hiding!

A 65g is too small for a hippo AND a yellow tang IMO. Really too small for any one of them for that matter. Allthough that doesn't help with any diagnosis... sorry.

My nitrates are a bit high, nitrites are 0

Back
Top Bottom