Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2011, 01:15 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is a great picture. Also his black marking on his lower body has become bright yellow. What can I do to prevent death.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow I found out they were two 0.5 inch damsels who did this. This morning they were picking at his infection until he died.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

And it was a 6 inch Tang!!
Old 06-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have one who seemed totally fine until one evening I found my coral banded all over him. Now he's hiding, right next to the same shrimp, and won't come out. The shrimp is leaving him alone now, but he's not eating just hiding. Any ideas?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineman View Post
I have one who seemed totally fine until one evening I found my coral banded all over him. Now he's hiding, right next to the same shrimp, and won't come out. The shrimp is leaving him alone now, but he's not eating just hiding. Any ideas?
He's probably sick and my guess is that your coral banded was cleaning him (some will do that but a cleaner shrimp is better) He is probably just hanging out wanting to be cleaned some more.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #16

That's really interesting! I thought it was bad news for sure! I can't see my hippo anymore, he must be hiding well. I have faith that he is still alive and kicking because the CUC isn't going crazy. I hope he makes it, I really want to move him to the big tank when I get it all set up!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well if he is sick it is bad news... I would say you are far from out of the woods.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #18

I know. It was just crazy, he was fine one day, then BAM, this happens! I know the tank is doing well otherwise as all my corals are doing fantastic!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you can't tell by my posts I'm a huge fan of the cleaner shrimp... I don't know how they would do for you now that you have a sick tang because I have not ever owned a tang without a cleaner shrimp.
One thing I can say is I believe that one of my Anthias was saved by a cleaner.
I bought 10 Anthias and after a couple weeks I ended up with two males and 8 females. One male kicked the snot out if the other. I only had one cleaner shrimp who was on high demand, and the injured one couldn't get to him because he was either busy or on a brake. After a few days the poor guy just kept getting worse, So I went out a bought a couple more cleaners. That day he saw a shrimp and it picked all of the rotting and infected flesh off, just in appearance the fish looked way better. Over a week with constant visits to the "spa" the fish recovered. It's still not the dominant fish and is having a hard time getting any girls, but he lives and fights and helps to keep the other females from morphing.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #20

I like that! I do have one cleaner but he rarely comes out. I was warned by my lfs not to have any more than two shrimp coral banded and cleaner).

Tags
hippo, ick, sick, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Sick tangs | Help »