Sick Jelly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tony

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 3 moon jellies in an 8 gallon tank. One of them seems to be tangled/twisted in itself. Still pulses so I know it's alive, but does anyone know what I should do? I've thought about trying to help it untangle but being so delicate, I don't want to make matters worse.

Welcome to AA. I don't know much about jellies so I just wanted to say heh.

I dont know much about them either. Are you sure that 8 gallon tank is big enough? Maybe you can educate me.

An 8g tank is not even remotely large enough to display jellies other than their ephyra. Do you have a kreisel or pseudo-kreisel? They need circular flow to keep them from twisting, getting caught, and eventually tearing themselves. A pic of the tank setup would also help.

Yeeeaaahhh, they are idiots. IME you have been mislead and need a much larger tank in order to grow out moon jellies to adulthood.

well for the time being, any ideas on the twisted jelly? will it untangle itself or should I try to untangle it myself?

Honestly, they are so delicate i would have fear of breaking off to many tentacles which = stress which = death. If you really want to save them what you need to do is get them in the right set up asap. Below is a link to a good tank. It has jets leading the water current in circles which dosent alow the tentacles to get tangled.

http://www.myfishtank.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/jellyfishtank.jpg

Also if you look at that site again it says what jellyfish can go into what set up. It sayd the moon jelly should go into the Monaco because of the fact it get 6 inches in diameter. The Blue jelly would be better because of its size. But personally i dont think either should be in that small of a tank. I would think a 10g could probably fit 2.

Jellyfish Aquarium | Buy a Jellyfish Tank and Aquarium

EDIT: I have a planned drawn up now that will help you and is much cheaper then that tank thats a couple thousand but cant go into detail now, i will upload it later and tell you my idea and possibly how to save your jelly. Check back around 10-11 o'clock.

Ok, here is my quick fix, and please critic my work as it migth just stink.

76766926.png

THe black circles are pumps, ask inovvator what size they should be. The blue is acrylic, the red is egg crate, and the grey arrows are the current. This should work in a 25g tall or larger i would think. That is probably what i would do as a quick fix. I would be looking on craiglist for the tank.

Back
Top Bottom