Sick Kole Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waffle3008

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've posted, but that has been a good thing to say the least lol.

I've had a Kole tang for about a month now and he has been acting fine, actually he is sort of the bully of the tank. He doesn't push fish in the corner or anything but since he is much larger than the rest of the fish in the tank, he feels that he can swim over them.

This past Saturday (not today) I added a Raccoon Butterfly. He has been fine, but since then, around Wednesday my kole tang has gone from a dark purple to pink and has marks on his body. I wasn't sure what the marks or loss of color was from. Also the color comes and goes. Sometimes he is fine, sometimes he is pink. I also haven't seen any difference in behavior or loss of hunger.

If it helps its a 90 gallon tank with:

two clown fish
coral beauty
foxface
scooter blenny
pajama cardinal
and the kole and raccoon mentioned earlier.

here are pictures. the first is of how he was when we got him to how he is now.

img_1641006_0_5433887833f55b32fd5883fa824cd590.jpg

img_1641006_1_0a567ff82f16b3fa48ec802b0af20da9.jpg

img_1641006_2_09a266c37fe36e40b9f05b858dab3b96.jpg

They are getting seaweed, flake food, and Frozen Spirulina Brine Shrimp

I haven't. I've been using garlic, but not sure if thats of any help.

cool, thanks for the advice. I will give it a try on monday since the LFS is closed on sundays here :(

Not a problem. I dose my tank weekly with vitachem and also place about 5-10 drops in the food once a day. You may not do as much though cause I have a 220.

Sad to say that my kole tang is not doing any better...here are some newer pictures of him. he is still acting normal like he has before but the marks are getting worse. Could they be bite marks?

img_1653019_0_afae12f805c76904c29435f83974d6dd.jpg

img_1653019_1_b0244b23699816cf1a36e0e1ccd16ab0.jpg

Fish can loose their color from stress...is it possible to remove the other fish that caused this?

Thing is I haven't seen any fish attack each other. If anything this guy was the bully of the tank. he would purposely swim over my foxface even though he would stick his spikes out.

I added a raccoon butterfly two weeks ago, but could it have been caused by him?

I would pinpoint when exactly it happened, which fish was introduced at that time? Tangs are very susceptible to stress, blue tangs will fade to an almost white when stressed, mine did when I first got him. But feeding good food, and removing the stress factors will hopefully get him back to healthy.

The garlic is a good idea too, I feed mine garlic infused seaweed sheets. :) It can boost their immune systems and help them fight off stress.

only other fish that is newer than him was the butterfly and he was in the tank for for about a month before I added him just fine. I will just have to sit and watch and see if any of the fish are picking on him.

Back
Top Bottom