Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2005, 03:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to 30_gallon_guy
sick leather??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 35 gallon tank with 2 36 inch florecents, one powerhead and my skimmer. I have about 20-25 pounds of live rock. I have one colt coral that is thriving and growing alot, i have a candy cane which also looks great and is growing new heads. my only dilema is my pink finger leather. Iv had it for about 4 months and it is growing but for the past 3 or four days it is slumped over on the rock. During the day the polyps are open but it is still slumped over on the rock. (its mounted to an old snail shell) At night the polyps close up and it shrinks but still slumped over on the rock. its as if it cant stand up strait anymore.

pleas any advice or suggestions (btw when you touch it lightly the polyps close then open again)
thanks

Old 07-24-2005, 07:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

sounds like you need more light, what is your wattage per gallon and spectrum?

Old 07-24-2005, 07:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

also what is your calc and strot testing out at?
Old 07-24-2005, 07:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

A pic would sure help. As mentioned, could be a light issue. Are your 36in lights NO or CF? Leather also do slough their skin every once in a while. This could be what is happening. How does the base look?
Old 07-24-2005, 07:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

check your calcium level and lights
Old 07-24-2005, 10:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have couple finger leathers. They slump at night but during the MH or VHO lighting, they stand straight up and 99% of the time extend their polyps. Recently, I scraped some hair algea off my largest finger leather in my 75G. Not really thinking I used my handy tank toothbrush to scrub it off. Couple days later it was all slumped over. The area I had scrubbed looked all white and was starting to deteriorate. Couple weeks have passed and it only got worse, so, I fragged it today. I have witnessed on occassion that it would be moody..Similar to how a toadstool goes through a molt. But, this time I believe I caused it to become infected. If you have been jacking around with it, that may be the problem. If not, then check your basic water params. As long as it does not start 'bleaching' and falling apart at the base, more than likely it will get over its 'mood' and snap back. They do like iodine (Like other softies..Xenia, etc) but DO NOT over dose it. (roughly 1 cap full (5 ml) per 50G once a week or once every 2 weeks, use your best judgment..heck test even!). If it does get worse, it will pollute the tank so your best move is to frag off the good and scrape off the bad. Hopefully, its just being a pain and you won't have to take any measures.
Keep us posted!

GL!
Old 07-24-2005, 11:15 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have one of these also and every couple weeks they will slough for a couple days. It happens all the time. I believe yours will be OK. If not then check out possibe causes. I have a pic in my gallery of one

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 02:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Any update?

Tags
eat, ick, leather, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com