sick leather??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

30_gallon_guy

Aquarium Advice Regular
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 35 gallon tank with 2 36 inch florecents, one powerhead and my skimmer. I have about 20-25 pounds of live rock. I have one colt coral that is thriving and growing alot, i have a candy cane which also looks great and is growing new heads. my only dilema is my pink finger leather. Iv had it for about 4 months and it is growing but for the past 3 or four days it is slumped over on the rock. During the day the polyps are open but it is still slumped over on the rock. (its mounted to an old snail shell) At night the polyps close up and it shrinks but still slumped over on the rock. its as if it cant stand up strait anymore.

pleas any advice or suggestions (btw when you touch it lightly the polyps close then open again)
thanks 0X

sounds like you need more light, what is your wattage per gallon and spectrum?

A pic would sure help. As mentioned, could be a light issue. Are your 36in lights NO or CF? Leather also do slough their skin every once in a while. This could be what is happening. How does the base look?

I have couple finger leathers. They slump at night but during the MH or VHO lighting, they stand straight up and 99% of the time extend their polyps. Recently, I scraped some hair algea off my largest finger leather in my 75G. Not really thinking I used my handy tank toothbrush to scrub it off. Couple days later it was all slumped over. The area I had scrubbed looked all white and was starting to deteriorate. Couple weeks have passed and it only got worse, so, I fragged it today. I have witnessed on occassion that it would be moody..Similar to how a toadstool goes through a molt. But, this time I believe I caused it to become infected. If you have been jacking around with it, that may be the problem. If not, then check your basic water params. As long as it does not start 'bleaching' and falling apart at the base, more than likely it will get over its 'mood' and snap back. They do like iodine (Like other softies..Xenia, etc) but DO NOT over dose it. (roughly 1 cap full (5 ml) per 50G once a week or once every 2 weeks, use your best judgment..heck test even!). If it does get worse, it will pollute the tank so your best move is to frag off the good and scrape off the bad. Hopefully, its just being a pain and you won't have to take any measures.
Keep us posted!

GL!

I have one of these also and every couple weeks they will slough for a couple days. It happens all the time. I believe yours will be OK. If not then check out possibe causes. I have a pic in my gallery of one

Back
Top Bottom