Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2007, 10:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sick leather

I'm not sure what's going on with this coral. It's been doing great for several months and then I wake up to this! In the second picture you can see two spots. The brown one is like a layer of goo that rubs off easily. Underneath the brown goo is there is a white spot. (I couldn't get a good picture without sticking my hand in there-sorry) Please offer any suggestions.

Thank you!

Old 05-13-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
That's weird. Leathers do "shed" for lack of a better word, and will sometimes stay closed up for days at a time while they do so.

If it were mine, before doing any drastic measure to save it, I'd let it be and keep a close eye on it to see if it bounce back on it's own. If it continues to spread you might consider either dosing it with lugols (diltuted 10:1 and spraying the area with a baster or something) or fragging off the infected area.

But...IMO I'd let it go for a while to see what happens. It may bounce back all on it's own.

What kind of flow is on it?

HTH, and please, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
What kind of flow is on it?
It's in a high flow area.

Thanks for info-I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Is there any corals close to it? I see one side but not the other side. I`ve had good results with SW dips with iodide for 10 or 15 minutes. Not a FW dip but SW with a couple caps of Kent`s concentrated Iodine in about a half gallon of water. If that dont work then you might have to frag off the bad end as Lindsay said.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Is there any corals close to it?
No, it's way off by itself. I've been watching it and it's not opening up at all now. I think I'll try the iodine dip. This is my first coral, and I've had it for over 6 mos. I'd really hate to loose it. I'll follow up.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are your water parms (SG, PH, temp, ammo, nitrite, nitrate, Ca, Alk)?
Do you do regular PWC's? If so how much and often? Do you use GAC?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
What are your water parms (SG, PH, temp, ammo, nitrite, nitrate, Ca, Alk)?
Do you do regular PWC's? If so how much and often? Do you use GAC?
I do pwc's of 20% every week (15 gallons of ro with reef crystals). I do not use GAC. I tested water on Sunday, but I'm at work currently and don't remember the exact results, except for the following: SG - 1.026 PH - 8.0 Temp - 79.8 CA - 380. The rest I'll have to get back to you on.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would run GAC until it clears up. Maybe something else is releasing chemicals that are bothering the leather. Also as the leather necrosis it will release toxins into the water that could then make things worse all around. GAC and a protein skimmer will aid in removal of them, along w/ PWC's. Chemical warfare is a problem w/ soft corals. I would suggest using GAC at least occasionally on a tank w/ softies. 24/7, changed weekly if you do not use a skimmer, along w/ PWC's.
I'm primarily concerned w/ SG and Alk. Low or high Alk can cause issues w/ coral tissue, as well as Alk swings. RC's/IO is alittle low on Ca generally too(usually test 340-350 right out of the bucket using RO/DI) Test and post your numbers to be sure everything is good. That is the first place you should start
Old 05-16-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I did a couple of more water tests when I got home.

Alk 2.5
Nitrate-10
Nitrites-0
Phos-less than 0.2
Ph 8
Ca 380
I run a skimmer 24/7

I think that was it. I was going to try an iodine dip but the leather has attached itself (the "stalk" part) to the entire side of a very large rock so it would be difficult to remove it to do the dip. Do you think I could use a bag of Boyd's chemi-pure in the sock? Also, do you think the SG is too high? I have another 15 gallons of water ready to go (I got worried about the leather releasing toxins into the tank).

Today the leather isn't looking as bad as it had in the past couple of days. It's still not extending fully and it has the two areas that look kind of white.

TIA!!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:54 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
a real reading of 1.026 is not too high. If however, you are not using a refractometer, that reading could be quite different.

Tags
eat, ick, leather, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com