Sick Leather Toadstool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stowers02

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a leather toadstool in my tank for about 3 months. It has been doing very well until recently. For the past 4-5 days its' stalk has become wilted. It can no longer support the weight of its' top-section so it has layed over on its side. I have also noticed that the stalk has decreased in diameter (from about an inch to 3/4 of an inch). My lighting seems to be good, as well as my calcium levels. Any advice would be appreciated. This is my most favorite coral in the tank and I would sure hate to lose it.

The coral could be sheeding. They do this from time to time as they expel their outer layer of cells. When it does this the body will often glaze over with what loks like a waxy coating.

Have you added any other corals to the tank?

I'm not an expert but I had a similar problem, I moved the coral slightly to make sure it wasn't shaded by a shadow from my wave pumps, gave it a gentle brush with a toothbrush (to remove some algae which I had noticed beginning growing on it) and finally positioned one of the wave pumps to pump water directly at it. I also did a 15% water change. I have no idea what bit worked - I suppose thats the problem with doing everything at once (I just didn't want it to die) - it recovered and is now quite happy.

Don't ask what posessed me to brush it with a tooth brush! I'm not sure it was the sensibilist thing to do in hindsight but since my clowns brushed against it and a hermit lived in I I figured it wasn't likely to do harm provided I was very gentle.

I hope it recovers.
Liz

I have not added any new corals or fish to the tank. But I did add some live rock (only about 10 lbs) a week ago. I moved the leather toadstool in the process, but was very gentle. I wonder if this could have had an effect?

WHen you added the new rock was it cured or not? Have you tested your water for ammonia or nitrite since adding the rock. When you moved the leather is it in an area now of lower/more flow and hows the equilvent placment in the tank as far as light intensity? Is the coral higher or lower in the tank than before?

I have tested for ammonia and nitrate since adding the live rock and both appear to have stayed at a 0 value. The placement of the coral is very similar to that before the rock was added. The flow should be nearly the exact same, but the light intensity may have increased a little. The coral actually moved from about a foot below the water surface in my tank to about 6-8" below the water surface.

Back
Top Bottom