Sick Maroon Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andira23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, so I'm doing what steve told me to do and raise the salitnity gradually and the temp as well. Now my clown is acting totally wierd. Its hanging out at the bottom of the tank in the opposite corner of its "area" I see a really fine white fuzz on him and he just keeps wiggling back and forth. I thought it might be ick so I gave him a fresh water dip for 4 or so minutes and them put him back in the tank.... still no change. Help!! My specs are still the same from my yellow wrasse post.

Thank you

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=17312

For easy reference the post mentioned above is linked above.

The fuzz sounds like a bactera infection and a freshwater dip wont really work for this. Did the maroon act agressivly toward the wrasse or did the wrasse act agressive toward the maroon?

What is your water temp and salinity now since you said your slowly rasing them.

There is really no aggression at all on anybody's part.

Temp is 79
Salinity is 1.023

Is the "fuzz" just in one particular spot on the clown or covering the entire body? If the entire body, does it look like a fine sheen of salt & pepper or more like excess body slime?

FWIW, the changes I suggested are not the cause but could be allowing whatever might be present to multiply faster. Whatever the issue it's best dealt with a soon as possible.

Cheers
Steve

Its all over, and looks more like slime. I knew that what you suggested wasn't the cause of the problem. I set up a QT last night from an old 10 gal I once used for FW. A guy I trust very much at my LFS suggested I add a teaspoon of Rid-Ich to the QT every 24 hours or so.

I did that last night and this morning the clown is looking a little better.

andira23 said:
Its all over, and looks more like slime.
Sounds like Brooklynella hostillis.

A guy I trust very much at my LFS suggested I add a teaspoon of Rid-Ich to the QT every 24 hours or so.
That should have a possitive effect but be sure the treatment is continued for a full 3 days after all signs of the parasite are gone. You can check Kordon's website for additiobnal usage facts. I would also suggest you read this artcile for some additional insights on treatment: Formaldehyde: Friend or Foe?

Be sure you have a good antibiotic available to treat secondary infection as well. Furacyn would be best recommended for this type of problem.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom