Sick maroon clown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danf1987

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday I notice he had a whitish mark on his chin, today he had a clear/whitish gunk like string come from his chin/bottom of his gil. I can see 2 spots on him, one near his top fin and one near his left fin, see pic -

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389642292.037050.jpg

Also his front strip has a dark patch on the line at the bottom, see pic -

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389642317.004522.jpg

His yellow strips have seemed faded since I got him 2 weeks ago. He seems happy just swimming again my torch coral. I have no other fish, only 5 corals, crabs, snails & shrimps. Can they catch this??? I have no quarantine tank.

The tank parameters are -

Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Amm 0
Ph 8.2
Mag 1290
Ca 440
Kh 9.6
Salinity 1.025
Temp 25
Using salifert test kits

Please advise me on what to do it treat him with, and does he have to be out of the tank with everything else to be treated??

Thank you

On closer examinations the spot things look more like tags, also my cleaner is very keen to get on him but the fish won't allow it!

Google lymphocytosis and see if you have a match . That is what it looks like to me.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello, thank you for replying. I googled it as you said and I keep getting contradictions, and different information, and arguments whether thing are ich or lymphocytosis. It sounds like lymphocytosis and I read it's induced by stress, well yesterday was the first time the fish had experienced me doing my fortnightly maintenance (20% water change, syphon round the rocks, clean the glass) he didn't like it and took hours for him to come out. So from
What I read the fishes immune systems fights it? So don't need to treat it?

Many thanks

It is not ich I am 100% sure of that. It also will not look the same in every case as it is deformed cells that you are seeing . Lymphocytosis is a virus so there is no treatment. You just have to wait out the month or so it lasts.

Ok thank you, so is this virus likely to be why his yellow stripes seem to be fading/rubbing off? Is it likely of been on him when I brought him or could it of been present in my tank from adding corals, snails & inverts?

Many thanks

fish colors tend to fade/darken in response to numerous external factors and even internal factors, stress being a very common one. just keep the water pristine and keep the clown fed with a high quality food and youll be fine:)

Not 100% sure on the stripes . The virus can only be transfered to a fish of the same type. For example damsels can only give it to other damsels. More than likely it had it all along and is just showing outward signs of it now .

Thank you both of you, you have put my mind at rest! I will keep an eye on him.

Many thanks

The dark patch on his left side the one I attached a pic of is now on his right side too. Just updating the thread, I hope he will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom