Sick Maroon clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ToujoursPur

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Clown Fish

Hi I just marron clownfish right and it been 1 week and it has just sit behide the rock and damsels i have are bring it foof it has only come out one time. so do you think my clown fish is old? Do you know how to tell? Or is it sick? If u could tell me what u think that would be great Thanks

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com

Clowns do seem totake their time getting used to new homes, but your damsels are not known for their "welcoming" abilities. Have you noticed any aggresion from the damsels?

so do you think my clown fish is old? Do you know how to tell? Or is it sick?

Could you provide some additional info about the clown. Discoloration, spots, fins condition, breathing. Hiding is not always a sign of a problem, especially with new tank additions but the more information you can provide will help determine if there is a problem.

Also include as much info about the tank. Age of set up, size, other inhabitants as well as water paramaters and acclimation technique.

Cheers
Steve

I have a 30 gal tank. I have 2 three strip damsels, 2 hippo tangs and i planing to get new fish. But i have a rock and damsel and clown stay together all the the time the only time they leave the clown is to get food for him. They stay behide the rock but today the damsels brought the food close but not next to him then the clown fish came out for sec eat 1 bit of food for the whole day. And it has bright red all over but on its middle its alot darker. Should i give live food like Brine Shrimp? Or the any other types of food? Should i put a vitamin and mineral pyramid?

It is always good to suppliment foods with vitamins but a better recommendation would be Selcon or Zoe. Garlic extract can also be a good attractant for fussy or hard to acclimate fish. Brine is fine in the beginning when introducing new fish but is pretty much void of nutrition and should not be used as "daily" fair.

I have a 30 gal tank. I have 2 three strip damsels, 2 hippo tangs and i planing to get new fish

You also have a very overstocked tank. Two hippo's in a 30 gal is a recipe for disaster. Not only will they not fair well in the small environmet provided, they can become extremely nastey when cramped and will probably start "making" room. I would strongly recommend taking the tangs back to the store for credit and waiting until you know more about the clownes condition before adding anything new.

You have not answered the questions concerning physical signs/distress of the clown other than the "dark" patch's.

The behavour is not very indicative of anything except possible aggression from to many fish and the clown being the "new" member of the family.

Is there any way of posting a pic?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom