Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

With that bit of amm present you are seeing a mini cycle. Keep doing water changes that's all you need to do, do not add anything to the tank, you shouldn't need to. As a general rule you need to see 0 amm, 0 nitrite always in a cycled tank. If its a reef aim for 0 nitrates however some corals can tolerate 5, fish only can be 10ppm. Try and aim for 8.0 for your ph but most importantly make sure it's stable. Try and test every day for the next week to see the fluctuations. Tell us a bit more about the set up, type of filtration?

Old 07-26-2013, 04:10 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
With that bit of amm present you are seeing a mini cycle. Keep doing water changes that's all you need to do, do not add anything to the tank, you shouldn't need to. As a general rule you need to see 0 amm, 0 nitrite always in a cycled tank. If its a reef aim for 0 nitrates however some corals can tolerate 5, fish only can be 10ppm. Try and aim for 8.0 for your ph but most importantly make sure it's stable. Try and test every day for the next week to see the fluctuations. Tell us a bit more about the set up, type of filtration?
Ok that's good to know in general. Ill keep an eye on the water. And to make sure I'm understanding, I don't need to add anything to balance the ph either, just water cycles should do it right?
For filtration...umm good question! Ha ha. There's the pump that came with the biocube and a filter inside that I just replaced. That's unfortunately about all I know off hand. Is there something specific I should look for?

Old 07-26-2013, 04:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyUp View Post

I'm trying to get a good pic of the white little things. They are pretty quick climbing the glass. They seriously look like teeny white snails if I can get a good one Ill post. None on fish.
Ok I got one of the little things out of the tank for a closer look and they are teeny tiny snails! It was a little shell. I didn't know they were in there. Maybe they just live in the sand..? Am I wrong in thinking they probably aren't harmful?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can raise ph by increasing the amount of oxygen exchange (open top, increase flow) is there a powerhead (fan) in the tank? Those tiny snails are harmless. What kind of water are you using? How is everything looking today?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
You can raise ph by increasing the amount of oxygen exchange (open top, increase flow) is there a powerhead (fan) in the tank? Those tiny snails are harmless. What kind of water are you using? How is everything looking today?
First of all THANK YOU so much for ALL YOUR help!! What a fantastic forum/group this is! I don't have a fan but think maybe i should look at getting one because the temp has been steadily at 80-80.9 degrees since moved into my house. which I understand is on the high side. I definitely open the 2 top panels to cool it down, glad it may help with ph too. I use a mix of fresh and salt water (from Catalina Island near my coast) - both from my fish store. As for today the test results show no change in ph 7.8, amm down to 0 (yay!), nitrite 0, but nitrate looks like it might have gone up to about 15-20 now (see pic).. Is there any other way to get that down faster than just more wc? I also noticed one of the mushroom corals is no longer spread out wide like the others, rather it looks like a droopy green blob and even inflamed or something (see other pic).. Could that be due to nitrate levels..or stress from the move?? It used to be spread wide open like the one on the left overlapping it (taking up 3/4 of the pic) but has been droopy since I moved it in last Monday and that green center getting more swollen each day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-126026167.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	188458   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1084110926.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	188459  

Old 07-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Water changes will bring nitrates down, as long as the tank is not being overfed and filtration is cleaned regularly and it is getting all of the detritus (poop) out. The coral is probably not happy with the high levels right now. I assume your lighting is sufficient for corals?
Old 07-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Water changes will bring nitrates down, as long as the tank is not being overfed and filtration is cleaned regularly and it is getting all of the detritus (poop) out. The coral is probably not happy with the high levels right now. I assume your lighting is sufficient for corals?
I put in marine pellets daily and dried plankton every few days.. the clown eats all of it as soon as it hits the water. Every so often I will put few drops of iodine too. Should I be doing more for the rest of the livestock?

Tags
clown, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com