Sick Maroon Clown-need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMel

Aquarium Advice Regular
HI,

My fairly large yellowstripe maroon clown has gradually been loosing his appetite over the last week. He looks great and has no other symptoms. He eagerly anticipates feedings and then has just started reducing how much he eats and the variety of food. He is down to only taking a few mysis shrimp at a feeding and even that he mostly spits back. His poop is white and stringy too, if that helps. Any ideas?

The only strange thing that happened was that he got in a tiff with my cowfish and the cowfish nipped off part of his dorsal fin about a week ago. It is healing nicely. Don't know if it is related or not.

TIA

FishyMel said:
His poop is white and stringy too, if that helps. Any ideas?
That will usually be the sign of an internal parasite. The color of the feces is not that much a concern in this case due to the food source. Mysis is a rather pink/white color. Food coloration should be expelled as the same as what they where going in. If the problem persists, I would treat with a Metronidazole based med. At the very least I would be preparing a QT as the med needed cannot be used in the main system.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom