Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-29-2004, 07:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
sick maroon tang

I just bought a pair of yellow stripped maroon tangs and the female has been swimming with it's tail up and it's head way down. I looked this up in one of my books and it was referred to as "floating boat." Can anyone tell me what might have caused this and how to fix it? The book says that it can be caused by floating pellet food, but I've been feeding them brine shrimp. Any ideas? Thanks!

daveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:10 AM   #2
Your maroon clown may also be suffering from a parasite. I would check into the possibily of C. irritans or more likely Brooklynella hostillis. Both of which must be treated in a seperate QT along with any other fish in residence.

If this is just a blockage, slightly soften peas mixed with the brine should help clear it unless it's and internal infection. In that case you may need to QT and treat with an antibiotic. I would start off with the peas and a few large water changes with well aged SW first providing you have eliminated the possibility of disease or parasite.

I would also try finding some different foods for the fish other than brine. It offers little or nothing in the way of nutrition. Blender mush, mysis, fortified flakes and the use of a good liq marine vitamin would be good.

ick, sick, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com