Sick Maxima Clam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poisson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 2" maxima clam that has been healthy and responsive in the last month since I got it. This afternoon, it started to shrivel and detach from its shell. I think it's dead...Hermit crabs are honing in on it. None of the fish ever touched it and it was not near the anemone. What could have happened? Hermit crabs?

Salinity=1.022, Ca=420ppm, pH=8.2, ammonia=0, nitrite=0, nitrate=10

Have you tested the Mg and alk as well? Imbalanced chem is usually one major cause of the mantle detaching. Typically it's high Ca but might as well check. Water flow, lighting and tank mates can also be a concern. Has the angel behaved itself?

What have you been feeding it?

Cheers
Steve

110W high output compac with Coralife bulbs (50% super daylight 10,000k and 50% actinic 03 blue). The guy at the LFS said that was what they used...

Will check Mg and alk...Coral beauty was good with it and the coral banded shrimp only picked at the shell once in awhile.

Maxima's need halides once they get larger, 110 w HO simple isn't intense enough. While still small though, they rely moreso on foods from the water column than their own zooxanthellae. Chances are is was a combination of thing but suffice it to say your tank is not set up to care for clams of this type.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom