Sick ocellaris?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foxmulder

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello!

I've just purchased 2 ocellaris clowns one week ago and added to my 10g nano reef tank.
At first everything seemed ok ... they were eating and swimming normally.
After that one of them did'n want to eat anything. After a 1-2 days the other also. I've tried to feed them granulated food, mysis, enriched brine shrimp. They are not even interested... the food passes in front of them and they don't even move.
Also, they seem to swin in a fixed position always, with no purpose.
I've also noticed that they are breathing heavily but they are not going to the surface as if they need oxygen.

I've tested the water and the results are not very bad:

NH3 - 0 mg/l
NO2 - 0.1 mg/l
NO3 - 10 mg/l
PO4 - 0.5 mg/l
PH - 8.2
dKH - 12
salinity - 1024.

I made a 30% water change. Still no improvement in their condition.

There are no phisical signs on their outside to suggest any illness.

The only simptoms are the heavy breathing, the fixed point swimming without any purpose and their complete loss of apetite.

The other tank inhabitants (the soft corals and the amboinensis shrimp seem to be doing just fine).

Here is a link to a video I made with them. Please take a look, maybe you can spot something.

YouTube - ocellaris all

This has been going on for more than 3 days. I'm scared that they will die.
Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Is there something I could do?

Do you have a powerhead in the tank. If you do aim it a little to the surface. Surface aggitation is how you aerate the tank. You say no sign of parasites?

Do you have a powerhead in the tank. If you do aim it a little to the surface. Surface aggitation is how you aerate the tank. You say no sign of parasites?

I have a powerhead + the pump of the filters. There seems to be water circulation at the top. I wll try to make even more.

What signs should I look for. I see nothing unusual.

Thamks!

Tiny white spots that look almost like grains of sand is Ich. It is a very common parasite. Usually also accompanied by scratching on rocks or sand bed. General things to look for are spots, discoloration, bloating, red or irritated gills, cloudy eyes, or missing pieces of fin.

I can see some white spots that I think are copepods on the aquarium glass. I understand that these are ok, even beneficial for the tank.
Anyway, they are not on the fish.

The white spots would be much much smaller then copepods. It would almost looks like little bits of powered sugar on the fish. That kind of small.

Swimming looks normal. Try soaking the forzen in garlic guard for at least 20 minutes.
When they poop, what does it look like?

They might just be adjusting to a new tank. Are they eating the same food as they were at where you got them? My clown fish swim like that all the time.

Swimming looks normal. Try soaking the forzen in garlic guard for at least 20 minutes.
When they poop, what does it look like?

Their poop looked long and white (sometimes almost transparent).

Now, since they're not eating... I don't see their poop anymore.

Since you still show nitrites in your readings I think that you are not through with your cycle. Do pwc everyother day until your nitrites show 0 and are stable.

White poop can be indicitive of an internal infection. I don't have my book at home, but if you can get your hands on a book called, The Handbook of Fish Diseases, by Dieter Untergasser, that will help, unless someone else comes along and can give specific meds.
I would also work on PWCs to get the water parameters as good as possible as stated above.

Thanks very much guys. Unfortunately nothing seems to be working. They have become very weak. I don't thing they stand a chance.

the tank was one month old when i put the fish in.
Length of time is no indication of whether or not a tank has completed it's nitrogen cycle. The only test is to test the water and get the 0 readings and then check again to be sure it's stable and not just a dip.

the same things are happening with my clowns
but mine are dieing i had two die within the first 24 hours of having them both

i had the lfs check my water before i bought them they said everything was good and my cycle was over

I also noticed that the faeces are thin, long and translucent. Is this a sign of digestive desease?

Back
Top Bottom