Sick PBT (ICK)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AMDPhenomX4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok well My uncle has a Yellow Tang and added a Powder Blue Tang. It got ick once which he then caught it and sent it to the LFS. It got better and put it back. Again Ick. He couldnt catch it. I caught it today with dads help in 5 minutes. It is completely covered in ick with film over its eyes. I have it at the LFS until monday or tuesday when i will take it home to a 20G QT i have. The tang is only 3" long. Is it ok to keep it in a 40 Gallon for a few months? What meds do you recommend?

Well I will Take the tang back on monday or tuesday depending on how much ick it has. I'll see if i can pick up a Refractometer on BRS.

Ok i have him home in a 20L. I am running at 81-81 Degrees F. Im using life Guard and will be doing 10G water changes daily. It has a bubble wand for movement. Anything else i should do? I have a bit of green seaweed on a clip to entice eating and a bit of formula 2 frozen at the bottom.

High heat does not work as well in SW as it does in FW. You are limiting the O2 in the water.
I would take Ray's suggestion and look int hyposalinity.
Is the main tank fallow? You need to keep it fallow for 6 weeks to break the life cycle of ich.

Last edited:
It wasnt ever in my tank except in a bag. Its from my uncle. I will see about Hypo but its doing really good and the tablets have worked really well for people. If it doesnt do better in a few days i will add some FW to lower the salinity.

Well, if you can get your hands on Chloroquine that would be your best option, even better than hyposalinity; otherwise, Cupramine (copper) might be your only real alternative if you are ruling out hyposalinity.

Its swimming sideways now.... Water is 79. I changed 50% of water with main tanks water which had some nitrate in it.

Hypo salinity?

Could you tell me what the S.G should be for this treatment. How long should it take to get to this end point?

If he is swimming sideways i dont know if there will be any saving him =/. if you dont have any coral or invertibrets in the tank try the copper treatment.. ive used it with good success.

Hes still alive. Dad brought him to LFS a few hours ago. Do they play dead at all? Mom checked in and hes laying on bottom moving a fin.

Back
Top Bottom