Sick pearl scale butterfly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dromo2189

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I bought this fish about a month ago. Everything seemed to be doing fine. Then all of sudden I came home and he was dead. I been doing. 25 percent weekly water change. My nitrate has been around 20 ever since I had my tank. When you pulled him out he had slim all over him. Any idea what it could be? IMG_0165.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He was eating frozen mysis shrimp. No change in behavior at all. I have a 65 gallon tank with a protein skimmer and a hob filter. Two power heads and about 40 pounds of live rock

I just have two clown fish
And two starfish

Right is nitrate is still 20
Nitrite is 0
Ph is about 7-7.5

pH is super low but I'd put this more on improper capture techniques and a very delicate species. Butterflies are not easy fish especially if they were possibly cyanide caught

Would that really matter though considering it was in the tank for so long?

Do you think there can be a problem with petco saltwater tank. I had a flame angel and the same thing happened. Was eating and acting fine then all of a sudden dead

When I buy from my local salt water store I never had a problem. Seems like the last two from petco has died

So do you think how petco handles them can be the problem? Cause nothing else has died on me besides the two fish from there

Last edited by a moderator:
Every store is different, even the big box stores. I couldn't even start to speculate with how many causes of stress there are in the chain of custody before it enters your home.

Okay thanks I was just curious if it was my tank or maybe the pet store. I'm trying to do this tank proper and take my time

Is online ordering okay for fish? Cause I like the website petsolution just wondering how they are

Back
Top Bottom