Sick plate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danielbdn

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a short tentacle green plate coral that started turning white two days ago. At first it was just one streak when when I got home from work it is now about half white. It was eating fine I spot feed it three times a week. My water parameters are
Ph. 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Salinity 1.024
Temp 79.7
KH 180
Calcium 420-430
Phosphate 0
I have 1 Fox Face, 1 Fire fish , 1 File fish, 1 Sixline Wrasse, 1 Corse Wrasse, 3 Green Chromis, and 1 Lawnmower Blenny, 1 Emerald crab, 1 Long spiny urchin and numerous hermit crabs and snails. I have had the plate coral for about two months. It is on the sand under Deep Blue Solar Xtreme T5HO 24w X 4 30"

Here's a pic before and now.

Attachments

• image-2002952236.jpg
    image-2002952236.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 133
  • image-1566829044.jpg
    image-1566829044.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 171
  • image-1208228433.jpg
    image-1208228433.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 125
Hard to tell in the pic, but it def looks like the skeleton is showing. It also looks like there's sand kicked up on it? I know they don't like that. Could something have fallen on it? When I first got my plate (ordered online) it was almost all white and I could see its skeleton on the tippy top of its "ridges". I did a coral rx dip and I feed him mysis shrimp a few times a week and he's (ugly) but completely happy and healthy.

Him when I got him and him now (His name is Jabba) lol

Attachments

• image-238778409.jpg
    image-238778409.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 130
  • image-845898920.jpg
    image-845898920.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 134
I tried to feed him last night after the lights went out so the fish wouldn't steal his food. I'll try the coral dip. Thanks. I like like the name for yours lol.

Yeah I turn off everything that makes flow and I suck up mysis in a syringe and slowly squirt it on him. He gobbles it up! Hope yours is ok. I'd try to gently lift him and shake the sand off or hold him in front of your power head for a sec and get the sand off. Could be a reason he's unhappy.

That's how I feed mine he used to swallow them right up, but the last three times my Foxface and Blenny take them from him before he eats them. I'm try to keep the sand off him but my Blenny always kicks more on him. Thanks for the help

Do you have to feed plate corals or can they get nutrients from the lights?

The guy who sold me mine said they mostly get nutrients out of the water column and light. But I found out that you should spot feed them their mouth is in their center. I feed mine mysis shrimp or shrimp pellets with a turkey baster they will open their mouth and swallow it up. It's pretty cool to watch.

Sniperhank would you recommend feeding or not? It seems that you do not recommend it. I just bought a plate coral and was not going to feed it but then i read that alot of people do... also liveaquaria says that "this coral is regularly taking mysis, etc..." So I'm confused... i would rather not if i don't need to.

You don't have to feed them. I do agree though, that it's cool to watch, plus, they seem to do better with a feeding here and there.

You know I must be the oddball out, my plate is always inflated with tentacles flowing. I've never seen it look the way I see them always pictured except when I acclimated it.

I love short tentacle plates , all mine love feeding time they all seem to grab something .

I knew it was sick that's why I was seeking help on here. It still had about half it's body green at the time of my original post. So I was trying to see if it could be saved. I should have fragged the living portion before it was to late. But I didn't because I was hoping it would grow back after I started treating it. The pics I posted are the same coral like AbsoluteFaye said.

Back
Top Bottom