Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2005, 12:13 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to FeedingFrenzy20
the last fish introduced was the foxface and catshark, i put them in at the same time. i treated him for 2 weeks prior to that for the ich. and reintroduced him to my main tank the same time i put the cat shark and foxface in. i believe he got it from when i put a goat fish and yellow tang in. at that time my nitrates were really high and the tang did not survive but a day and the goat fish made it a couple of weeks. at that time i also noticed the white specs on the puffer and treated with mardels coppersafe as well as with maracyn. they seemed to go away in the 2 weeks he was in the QT. however shortly after reintroduced he seemed to get the slime coat back. Every now and again i noticed him breathing hard and my mom recently saw him puffed up in the tank and he puffed up when i was reacclimating him to my main tank as well.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well...just go by what I had advised...the freshwater bath, the formalin and gotta get out the QT again. That really is your best bet at this point. Labored breathing can indicate gill flukes. Keep me updated on the puffer's progress.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:11 PM   #13

Would you suggest the formalin or formalin 3. Would i just treat it with the normal instructions because i was told before to only treat them with half because they are scale less fish and it would over medicate the fish if i used the suggested dosage. how long would i need to leave him in the QT for and what would u suggest for the best way to filter that tank.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

At work, we use Formalin. Do use half the dose as recommended. Treat for at least a week, but can be treated up to two weeks if symptoms persist, on the same medicine. Just use a simple sponge filter and do water changes of 25% every two to three days. Leave the tank bare bottom and just have something for the puffer to hide in or behind.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #15

thank you for the help i will start treatment as soon as i can get a hold of some of the formalin.

Tags
ick, puffer, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com