Sick puffer, could be swim bladder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E249

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a hawaiian blue spotted puffer that had been acting strange. Last night he seemed fine, but today he started to lay around on the bottom. At first I thought he was dead, but when I stuck the net I'm he began to swim. Not fast and scared, but slowly. When I fed them I stuck food right next to him, but he wouldn't eat. I have had him for a couple of months and he's been doing fine until now. I have a lawnmower blenny, a percula Clown, a Diadema, a sail fin tang, and two damsels. None of the fish have been bothering him. When I introduced him to the tank I let him sit for 15 min to get used to the temp and then added a quarter cup of water every min for about 10 min. I recently tested the water and the ammonia was at zero, but the nitrate was slightly raised, but still low. I will test again tomorrow and post the exact numbers. Does anyone know what could be the problem? Could it be his swim bladder?

If it was swim bladder related it wouldn't be able to properly stay bouyant/propel itself. Is it actually laying on its side? Notice any red marks, inflammation, ulcers, growths, white specks (like salt), or tattered fins?

Back
Top Bottom