Sick RBTA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Something's wrong with my RBTA. I did a water change a couple days ago and bumped a rock that the nem was partly attached to and he came off of it. I don't think I hurt his foot though because he moved halfway across the tank overnight. He's closed today and shriveled up. Hes not bleached. How can I save him?
My parameters are
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 8.8ppm
Salinity 34
Calcium 550
Alk 3.12 meq/L

I've had him for 9 days

Attachments

• image-2762022146.jpg
    image-2762022146.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 137
Usually when they move it`s to find a place that suits them. Probably when you moved that rock it changed something that the anenome didnt like. Alot of times they will shade the foot and then the rest of him will come out in the light. Give him a few days to see what he does.

Okay I just hope he makes it a few more days! Is there anything I can do for him besides wait?

I've been doing a pwc bout every 4 days and my calcium is 550 from the reef crystals.

He's come out some since the main lights went off

Attachments

• image-2576898438.jpg
    image-2576898438.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 119
You aren't getting a calcium level of 550 out of reef crystals salt mix. I would invest in a better test kit. API I'm assuming.

It was my lfs that tested it. I saw 2 test kits one was a lamotte and the other was salifert and I had them test alkalinity and calcium.

It was my lfs that tested it. I saw 2 test kits one was a lamotte and the other was salifert and I had them test alkalinity and calcium.
then your alk must be terribly low. I would say that's the problem. If your alk is ok, then there is no way your calcium level is upwards of 500.
You aren't going to get that out of reef crystals anyway. not unless there's something wrong with the batch.

Okay. The guy at the lfs said that its probably the batch. Would high calcium irritate My nem? I'm not sure though about their testing. Im gonna get kh and calc test kits and see for my self. Any brand recommendations?

I would listen to Mr X on the chemistry issue. The color looks pretty good and normal IMO. He could be a little more fuller but he seems to be getting better as the day goes on.

He moved overnight, to a low flow area. Kinda weird. Maybe he wanted low flow until he recovers? He kind of accepted some frozen brine shrimp today.

Attachments

• image-2124816788.jpg
    image-2124816788.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 93
  • image-3547386209.jpg
    image-3547386209.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 80
mr_X said:
You aren't getting a calcium level of 550 out of reef crystals salt mix. I would invest in a better test kit. API I'm assuming.

Just thought about something. Ive noticed that it takes about a half cup more salt per gallon to get to 1.025 on my instant ocean hydrometer. When I mix water in a 5gal bucket, I have to add 3 cups or a little more. Instead of 2.5 cups. Could that be the calcium issue? Or is it definitely the test kit?

Maybe that's your problem- the hydrometer. Those can be terribly inaccurate. You would be much better off with a refractometer.
Check your SG against someone's refractometer in the interim.

Ok. I'll check with the lfs. I haven't graduated yet lol. I guess I'm gonna have to.

Back
Top Bottom