Sick royal gramma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Midnighttang

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a relatively new saltwater tank. It has been inhabited for about a month. I have 2 ocellaris clowns and a royal gramma. When I added the gramma, she hid in the rocks for 2 days. Since then, she seemed to adapt and was swimming around in the open water with the clowns, only going into the rocks when the lights were out. Her tail looked slightly torn, but I thought that might have been from the rocks. It didn't seem to affect her swimming. Yesterday, I woke up and found her hiding in the rocks with her tail looking much worse. I went out and bought a few things to set up a hospital tank. By the time I got back, her tail was practically gone. I've treated the hospital tank with melafix. What else can I do? I've attached some photos, so you can see the progression. She can hardly swim now and hides under the tiny piece of LR I put in her tank :(

Attachments

• image-2980250970.jpg
    image-2980250970.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 57
  • image-1665626036.jpg
    image-1665626036.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 68
  • image-513493695.jpg
    image-513493695.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 75
you must have some mean clowns.i've never had any luck with royal grammas.i lost 4 in two days cause of damsels.they get stressed out too easy and die.they're pretty but i will'nt buy one again.hope it grows back for you but if you only have two clowns it has to be one or both attacking it

dwint said:
you must have some mean clowns.i've never had any luck with royal grammas.i lost 4 in two days cause of damsels.they get stressed out too easy and die.they're pretty but i will'nt buy one again.hope it grows back for you but if you only have two clowns it has to be one or both attacking it

I know that basslets should not be in the same tank together because they will fight until one dies... Im sure having 4 grammas caused alot of fighting

the yellow tail damsel kept chaseing them and scared them to death

I guess I might have to accept that the clowns were to blame, but I have a hard time believing it. They never seemed aggressive and I spend a lot of time watching tank. Could she have been damaged by the red leg hermits or the one emerald crab? The damage seemed to get worse during the night and she always hid in the LR cave at night. The clowns never go in the cave. Oh well. I don't think it really matters. I don't think he's going to make it. He's lying at the bottom :(. The other fish I had planned was a yellow watchman goby. If I assume the clowns were the attackers, would the goby be okay, since he inhabits the lower level of the tank?

Back
Top Bottom