sick sailfin tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

al

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i got home from work today to see my sailfin tang (1 week old) covered in ich. i fed him and he ate a ton, but i noticed that his stomach (well, neck i guess, between his mouth and lower fins) was jutting out. it almost looks like he ate a rock or something, but i doubt it. i don't know what to do, please send me some advice. thanks

-al

i gave him a 2 minute FW dip. he layed down on his side during it, then I put him back into my tank and he started eating!!! but i still think he's gonna die (while i'm away for the holiday). i am amazed though with how long he has lasted and how he seems fine (besides the ich). his jutting stomach has mostly gone away. probably the coolest fish i've had. i think i'm gonna break down my tank after this though, i can't stand these failures and i feel terrible when they die.

The best method to avoid these problems is to prevent them before the fish are introduced to the main display tank. Having a proper quarantine tank set up to keep newly aquired fish is IMO, the only true way to ensure your fish's best chances at captive life.

If done correctly you will not need to treat the main tank, worry about infecting tankmates or worse. It is not too late to try although your vacation will mean training someone to monitor the fish carefully while your away. Hyposalinity is a very effective method and will not futher stress the fish with the use of meds...

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom