Sick sea star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cranky

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Evryone, long time lurker, first time poster, I have a sick sea star, it looks like it's insides are coming out.

I only got it last week, spent nearly four hours dripping it.

There is a lot of conflicting info out there as to what it could be, some say feeding, some say dying, but it doesn't look great.

It is a I believe a Fromia Monilis

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• Seren.jpg
    Seren.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 119
Did you expose it to air or more likely the lfs did? In general though stars are pretty tough to keep and need large mature tanks to survive

It could be feeding. They extend their stomach/digestive organ to cover whatever food they are eating. Does it retract when you disturb him or stay out?
If it doesn't retract than you may have a problem.

Did you expose it to air or more likely the lfs did? In general though stars are pretty tough to keep and need large mature tanks to survive

I've always wondered about the "exposing to air" thing.
It doesn't seem to make sense considering that the type of starfish the op has is similar to many that frequent tide pools and are routinely exposed to the air and suffer no harm.
what is the reasoning behind it?
For sponges and other filter feeders it is logical as they may siphon in air and it may disrupt their ability to feed, but those type of starfish are not filter feeders, so I fail to see the problem.

Anyone have any solid reasoning behind this idea?

Back
Top Bottom