Sick/Spawning Clown Not Sure, Any Help would be great

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SsSarahsS

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I haven't been on here in awhile so hello again. I am having what might be a problem with one of my clownfish. My female clown is showing some swelling in the abdomen area (have noticed this for about 3 days now). She doesn't seem to be in any distress is eating normally, swimming the same as always and no alarming breathing patterns. I have had her and another clown for just over 2 years now (the two that are in my profile picture) with no problems (I wouldn't be surprised if they were spawning). The swelling isn't completely round it is a little bumpy and uneven but there are no scales sticking out anything. I have included 3 photos sorry if the quality isn't to great, but moving targets are hard :)
Parameters - Using fasTesT kit
29 Gallon
Salinity - 1.023
pH- 8.4, Nitrate - 10
Ammonia 0
Nitrite - 0.

Inhabitants/length of time in tank
The 2 sabea*sp/clarkii clowns - over 2 yrs
1 cleaner shrimp - 1 yr
1 blood shrimp - 1 yr
1 emerald crab - 6 mons
hermits - 1 yr
snails - 1-2 yrs
bristle star - 1 yr

Attachments

• edit_feb_102_1_186.jpg
    edit_feb_102_1_186.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 24
  • edit_feb_10_3_144.jpg
    edit_feb_10_3_144.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 25
  • feb_10_edited_2_595.jpg
    feb_10_edited_2_595.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 26
Are they doing anything like, scoping out rock and picking at it in certain places, acting "frisky" toward each other? Any indication that they would be spawning?

In my experience, after I noticed a bulge in my clownfish's abdomen, it was about 2 weeks later and she laid her first batch of eggs. Before she did, her and the male costantly picked at this area of rock near their host coral for hours and hours to clean it.

See any actions like that?

Regardless, congrats if so. It's fun to watch them with the eggs and what they do with them. My clowns have spawned for me numerous times now, still get a kick out of watching them.

HTH

Well they have always acted frisky I guess. The male will swim up to the female and she chases him and he twitches. I am still noticing that occuring. I see the female hovering over an area of rock ocassionally that looks picked at, but I haven't seen them actually picking at the rock. But I am not watching them 24/7. They don't have any 'host' coral in the tank but I do have star polyps (they don't host these lol :) ) but the area that is cleared is somewhat near them but that doesn't really mean anything. Well I am hoping its spawning and not nearing death lol.

Attachments

• feb_10_021_311.jpg
    feb_10_021_311.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 27
I am just wondering if it is normal for the female to slow down a bit before she lays eggs (noticed her being a bit bloated for 5 days now). She still doesn't seem to be having any breathing problems and hasn't laid eggs, but she isn't eating as much and she is sitting in one spot in between 2 rocks a lot. Tank specs are the same as previous. Just wondering what I should do, I am not completely conviced that she is pregnant and I wonder if I should be treating for dropsy or something. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom